Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Internet Connect" via Nextel Cell Phone

Today I received my data cable to connect my Pismo (upgraded) to the Internet via my i730 cell phone. It's not a bluetooth phone.

1. Clicked on "Network" on preferences
2. Sset up "On road" as Location
3. Clicked on "Internal Modem" under Show
4. Under PPP, I have the correct "Account Name" (email address), passwark, and tel # to dial for connect to earthlink.net.
5. also under "PPP Optoins" I check on "Connect Automaatically when needed."
6. I click on "Dial Now" and up come the "Internal Modem" screen with the correct Account Name and password.

Even when I dial thnumber on my cell phone I can't get a connection. It tries to connect and then disconnects.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help out here, please?

Intel iMac 17" - G5 Tower - PIsmo (upgraded to G4), Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 22, 2007 5:58 PM

11 replies

Jan 22, 2007 6:16 PM in response to SLykos

OI forgot to mention that I tried "Manual Dial" under "Connect" and did as a screen said: Dial number and when connected, click "OK" and close phone, and since it's a flip phone, I closed the flip. It said "Connecting" for about a minute and then disconnected with a message that says: "No dial tone detected. Please check line connectoin and try again."

Jan 23, 2007 6:56 AM in response to BDAqua

From top down in the order they have been "checked":

Internet Modem
IrDA
Built-in Internet

I also get an error message that says: "A modem error occured. Please check your settings and try again."

Under modem type, it states: Apple Internal 56K Modem )v.90)

When using "Manual Dial" here's the screen that come up right after I dial the number on my cell phone: "Internet Connect" at the top, and then says: "Pick up the phone and dial 465-0020 (my local number). click OK when th ephone rings and then hang up."

I've tried that with my flip cell phone left open, and closing th flip on it which is the same as hanging up.

Still does the same, menu bar says "Connecting..." Continually for about a minute, then disconnects.

I think an "Arrgh! is warranted here!

Jan 23, 2007 7:49 AM in response to SLykos

3. Clicked on "Internal Modem" under Show

You have your Pismo configured to use the Pismo's internal 56k modem. It is not configured to use your handset.

How is your handset connected to the Pismo? If it is connected via USB and the Pismo recognizes it, you would expect to see a choice that had something like "USB modem" in the name.

If the handset is connected to the Pismo via USB you will probably need some type of driver for the Pismo to recognize that the handset has modem capability.

Jan 23, 2007 8:00 AM in response to Duane

I'm using a data cable I bought that has one end to plug into my Nextel phone. The other end of the cable is a USB end and plugged into the computer.

Under "Port configuration" what's avaliable are what I posted above plus "Built-in Firewire."

Under "Modem" in the "Show All" screen, I have checked "Enable error corection and compression in modem." I did not check the only other optoin which is: "Wait for dial tone before dialing."

On that same "Internal Modem" screen, I have also checked off Tone under "Dialing", and On under "Sound."

I was assuming the my cell phone is being used just as a land line phone, and is why I'm using my internal modem, which, BTW, works fine when I do connect the computer to an actual land line phone line.

Thanks for the help so far from you all.

Jan 23, 2007 9:13 AM in response to Duane

Well, I just got off the phone with a tech guy from Nextel He said the data cable I have will not wrk on a Mac. I need a certain type of USB cable other than the one I bought, plus I need to buy a "data plan" for everyting to work properly.

Sound bogus to me, but...........

Maybe I'm better off taking my Pismo to our local Sprint/Nextel store and pay the bucks to get a broadband card and the $50 month fee for service.

"Internet Connect" via Nextel Cell Phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.