Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The last update to the iPhone 6 Plus messed up workout activity. Missing exercise time in the activity app. In comparison to the I watch. Never had issues prior to this last update.

Just updated the iPhone 6 Plus to the latest ios update and now my activity app on my phone does not match my exercise time on my watch. This has never happened before and this is quite frustrating as I depend on this activity app for my personal goals.

Apple Watch Sport 42mm (1st Gen), iOS 11.2.5, iPhone 6 plus

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 7:55 AM

Hi

To credit progress towards your Exercise goal, the Activity app aims to identify activity that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk. This requirement applies both during general daily wear - when the Activity app tracks activity in the background - and when recording workouts via the Workout app.

Exercise credit is awarded for each minute during which this requirement is met. It is possible that you are not meeting that requirement and/or that your activity is not being tracked accurately.

If you have not yet done so, then it may help to first update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Whilst Apple has not published details of the algorithm that determines when activity is deemed to meet the required intensity level, the definition does vary by person and depends on your personal information. To check that it is accurate:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

When recording specific fitness activities, instead be sure to use the Workout app (or a third-party app that shares data to Health) and to choose the activity type that most closely matches your workout, including choosing Other for any workouts that are neither included within nor sufficiently similar to those in the main list. This enables your watch to use the most appropriate sensors and data sources when tracking results:

Note that Apple Watch can pair and sync with compatible gym equipment, by following the instructions here:

Use gym equipment with Apple Watch

For more accurate tracking of any outdoor workouts and to enable proper calibration for other circumstances, check your Location Services settings:

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:

• Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
  • In the list of apps beneath, if the option is shown (depending on your watch mode), then check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
  • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

Apple Watch Series 2 & 3 models have built-in GPS, so the paired iPhone does not need to be taken along during supported outdoor workouts in order for them to be able to access Location Services information. For other models, it may help to take your iPhone along, with Location Services enabled.

During general daily wear and when using the Workout app to record relevant workouts (ie where arm motion is involved) when GPS data is either not relevant or not available, the Activity app and Workout app track your arm motion (measured by the accelerometer) when estimating results including progress towards the Exercise goal.

For the best results, allow the arm on which you are wearing your watch to swing naturally as you move around during daily wear and to move as expected during workouts.

Resetting your existing calibration data and recalibrating your Apple Watch may help to improve the accuracy of activity-related estimations. More information and detailed instructions are available via the link below. Resetting your calibration data and following detailed instructions for calibrating your Apple Watch can be equally as helpful for Series 2 & 3 models and will not erase your Activity history:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

For the best performance from your Apple Watch - including the most accurate readings from the heart rate sensor, which is used continually during workouts - be sure to wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) during general daily wear and during any workouts. Apple suggests tightening your Apple Watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you would prefer to receive Exercise credit for the full duration of workouts, regardless of their estimated intensity levels, then track them via the Workout app using "Other" as the activity type. This will credit one minute of Exercise for each full minute of the workout. Active calories will be estimated at a rate equivalent to a brisk walk or based on data recorded by the heart rate sensor, whichever is higher. However, note that neither distance nor a route map are recorded for outdoor workouts under this workout activity type.

Otherwise, if you remain concerned, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

More information:

Track workouts and stay healthy with Apple Watch - Apple Support

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2018 7:55 AM in response to kayb7301

Hi

To credit progress towards your Exercise goal, the Activity app aims to identify activity that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk. This requirement applies both during general daily wear - when the Activity app tracks activity in the background - and when recording workouts via the Workout app.

Exercise credit is awarded for each minute during which this requirement is met. It is possible that you are not meeting that requirement and/or that your activity is not being tracked accurately.

If you have not yet done so, then it may help to first update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Whilst Apple has not published details of the algorithm that determines when activity is deemed to meet the required intensity level, the definition does vary by person and depends on your personal information. To check that it is accurate:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

When recording specific fitness activities, instead be sure to use the Workout app (or a third-party app that shares data to Health) and to choose the activity type that most closely matches your workout, including choosing Other for any workouts that are neither included within nor sufficiently similar to those in the main list. This enables your watch to use the most appropriate sensors and data sources when tracking results:

Note that Apple Watch can pair and sync with compatible gym equipment, by following the instructions here:

Use gym equipment with Apple Watch

For more accurate tracking of any outdoor workouts and to enable proper calibration for other circumstances, check your Location Services settings:

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:

• Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
  • In the list of apps beneath, if the option is shown (depending on your watch mode), then check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
  • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

Apple Watch Series 2 & 3 models have built-in GPS, so the paired iPhone does not need to be taken along during supported outdoor workouts in order for them to be able to access Location Services information. For other models, it may help to take your iPhone along, with Location Services enabled.

During general daily wear and when using the Workout app to record relevant workouts (ie where arm motion is involved) when GPS data is either not relevant or not available, the Activity app and Workout app track your arm motion (measured by the accelerometer) when estimating results including progress towards the Exercise goal.

For the best results, allow the arm on which you are wearing your watch to swing naturally as you move around during daily wear and to move as expected during workouts.

Resetting your existing calibration data and recalibrating your Apple Watch may help to improve the accuracy of activity-related estimations. More information and detailed instructions are available via the link below. Resetting your calibration data and following detailed instructions for calibrating your Apple Watch can be equally as helpful for Series 2 & 3 models and will not erase your Activity history:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

For the best performance from your Apple Watch - including the most accurate readings from the heart rate sensor, which is used continually during workouts - be sure to wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) during general daily wear and during any workouts. Apple suggests tightening your Apple Watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you would prefer to receive Exercise credit for the full duration of workouts, regardless of their estimated intensity levels, then track them via the Workout app using "Other" as the activity type. This will credit one minute of Exercise for each full minute of the workout. Active calories will be estimated at a rate equivalent to a brisk walk or based on data recorded by the heart rate sensor, whichever is higher. However, note that neither distance nor a route map are recorded for outdoor workouts under this workout activity type.

Otherwise, if you remain concerned, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

More information:

Track workouts and stay healthy with Apple Watch - Apple Support

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch

Feb 18, 2018 7:52 AM in response to kayb7301

Similar issue with mine and a friends devices.

The exercise ring shows significantly less time than the exercise workouts listed—see attachments from each one of our activity apps.

iPhone 6S iOS 11.2.5

iPhone 7+ iOS 11.2.5

Apple Watch S3+C watchOS 4.2.2

1st gen (not series 1) “up to date” she said

The issue, along with heart rate and stand monitoring issues, seems to occur more recently. This is along with the exercise app being slow to launch.

I’ve followed all the articles for unpairing, calibrating, I don’t have tattoos, I wipe away sweat, I frequently restart devices, etc.

I’ve noticed when I pause and resume workouts the issue seems to occur more.

At this point I have to believe it’s a bug with the activity app since the watches are logging the workout but activity is not logging the proper time.

Also, it would be useful for Apple to give a more definitive answer than “exercise being more than a brisk walk”, like heart rate. Although as you can see below the apps weren’t able to log heart rate enough so the chart was unavailable.

Once again, this is 2 completely different devices that the issue occurred on.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Feb 18, 2018 9:20 PM in response to Jonathan UK

All that was in the articles I read but I thank you for responding and this piece in particular, especially if I missed it in the articles:

The last update to the iPhone 6 Plus messed up workout activity. Missing exercise time in the activity app. In comparison to the I watch. Never had issues prior to this last update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.