Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message and Contacts are messed up

I did the latest update to the OS and Message end Contacts are not working properly as before.

Messages does not display all the names of people in my threads. Instead, phone numbers or email addresses are displayed. In a few cases, it reads "Maybe: <name>".

in Contacts, All Contacts displays only one user. When clicking on each group, "No Cards" is displayed. I can see that there are >100 cards listed, but none are apparently associated with any group, including "All."

Does anyone have a cure?

iMovie '11, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Feb 5, 2018 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2018 5:52 PM

After weeks of reading discussion boards on Apple and forums on other platforms and not finding a resolution, I did an online chat with an Apple advisor. The advisor tried this and that, but was stumped and sent me to a Senior advisor who helped me on the phone. Many hours later, a solution was found, and I will share it in hopes that it'll solve someone else's problem too.

In System Preferences, go to iCloud and sign out. Uncheck items to save from iCloud to HD, continue.

SysPrefs > Internet Accounts, uncheck sync contacts from other accounts, e.g., gmail.

From Go menu, hold down Option key, select Library.

Find Application Support folder. Select all items in it. Control-click, create New Folder With Items. Close folder.

Back out to Library. Find and open Preferences folder. Drag com.apple.AddressBook.plist to desktop. Close folder.

Back out to Library. Find and open Containers folder.

com.apple.AddressBook folder. Select all items in it. Control-click, create New Folder With Items. Close folder.

Restart Mac.

SysPrefs > iCloud. Sign into iCloud.

SysPrefs > Internet Accounts, check sync contacts from other accounts, e.g., gmail.

Open Contacts on Mac. Hurray!! All the contacts are present!

Open Messages on Mac. Hurray! Names all appear where they should!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2018 5:52 PM in response to PurpleCast

After weeks of reading discussion boards on Apple and forums on other platforms and not finding a resolution, I did an online chat with an Apple advisor. The advisor tried this and that, but was stumped and sent me to a Senior advisor who helped me on the phone. Many hours later, a solution was found, and I will share it in hopes that it'll solve someone else's problem too.

In System Preferences, go to iCloud and sign out. Uncheck items to save from iCloud to HD, continue.

SysPrefs > Internet Accounts, uncheck sync contacts from other accounts, e.g., gmail.

From Go menu, hold down Option key, select Library.

Find Application Support folder. Select all items in it. Control-click, create New Folder With Items. Close folder.

Back out to Library. Find and open Preferences folder. Drag com.apple.AddressBook.plist to desktop. Close folder.

Back out to Library. Find and open Containers folder.

com.apple.AddressBook folder. Select all items in it. Control-click, create New Folder With Items. Close folder.

Restart Mac.

SysPrefs > iCloud. Sign into iCloud.

SysPrefs > Internet Accounts, check sync contacts from other accounts, e.g., gmail.

Open Contacts on Mac. Hurray!! All the contacts are present!

Open Messages on Mac. Hurray! Names all appear where they should!

Feb 5, 2018 2:37 PM in response to PurpleCast

Another detail: in Calendar, when I click on a person's name, it reads "No Card Selected". I cannot access any member's info.

In addition to the above, my Calendar, which backs up to iCloud, is not showing the changes on my iMac that I made from my iPhone. Those changes are showing on my MBAir. So the problems with Calendar and Messages seem to be isolated to my iMac.

Message and Contacts are messed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.