Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac os x / icloud login just freezes...

My Mac Pro using OS X Version 10.11.6 El Capitan all of a sudden won't log into icloud - and also seems to have screwed up all my email passwords stored for use by the Mail program.

I wasn't doing anything unusual, just all of a sudden tried to make me enter my email passwords. And when I did, it didn't seem to do anything. After numerous attempts, it then started telling me I needed to relog into icloud. When I tried, said the password was wrong (even though I know for sure it wasnt) and then forced me to change it. So I did. I was able to log in using other devices, and even to this forum with the new password... However, now when trying to log into icloud through System Preferences -> Internet Accounts, its just frozen. The password prompt is up, and the little hamster wheel is just spinning and spinning. I can't even stop it, can't quit system preferences either.

I've even forced it to quit, logged out and back in, and when I go back into to enter my icloud password, same **** happens... AAARRRGGGHHH....

Anybody from Apple able to help please??

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Feb 6, 2018 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 11:53 AM

So logging off and even rebooting the computer didn't fix anything. In multiple places it kept asking me for a password and wouldn't accept any password even though I knew it was correct. Even after changing the password and verifying it on another device, it still wouldn't accept it. However, I eventually figured out that in System Preferences -> iCloud that I had to use the "Sign Out" button on the lower left of the window. Once I signed out and then re-signed in, things starting working again. So this was all iCloud related, even though when the problem started I wasn't doing anything with iCloud (I was just checking my google email accounts which are synced to the Mail app). I have no idea what triggered the problem, but iCloud and access to the keychain associated with it was apparently the problem. And the whole mess cascaded to a bunch of other problems with my family since iCloud forced me to change my password, triggering password problems on half a dozen iphones, ipads and computers that are linked to same account or a family account. Basically a half day wasted, and angry wife and kids, for no apparent reason other than the increasingly glitchy and complicated bullcrap that is iCloud... Like the fact that iCloud tries to force you to back EVERYTHING up to iCloud even though I've told it NOT to multiple times. The mere act of logging out and back into icloud turned icloud backups back on (even though it was off) causing my system to start backing up like a terabyte of photos. This kinda crap is reminiscent of why I left microsoft. Apple - please get your **** together and stop acting like the microsoft you were once supposed to be the antitheses of...

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2018 11:53 AM in response to bonfire

So logging off and even rebooting the computer didn't fix anything. In multiple places it kept asking me for a password and wouldn't accept any password even though I knew it was correct. Even after changing the password and verifying it on another device, it still wouldn't accept it. However, I eventually figured out that in System Preferences -> iCloud that I had to use the "Sign Out" button on the lower left of the window. Once I signed out and then re-signed in, things starting working again. So this was all iCloud related, even though when the problem started I wasn't doing anything with iCloud (I was just checking my google email accounts which are synced to the Mail app). I have no idea what triggered the problem, but iCloud and access to the keychain associated with it was apparently the problem. And the whole mess cascaded to a bunch of other problems with my family since iCloud forced me to change my password, triggering password problems on half a dozen iphones, ipads and computers that are linked to same account or a family account. Basically a half day wasted, and angry wife and kids, for no apparent reason other than the increasingly glitchy and complicated bullcrap that is iCloud... Like the fact that iCloud tries to force you to back EVERYTHING up to iCloud even though I've told it NOT to multiple times. The mere act of logging out and back into icloud turned icloud backups back on (even though it was off) causing my system to start backing up like a terabyte of photos. This kinda crap is reminiscent of why I left microsoft. Apple - please get your **** together and stop acting like the microsoft you were once supposed to be the antitheses of...

Feb 7, 2018 11:55 AM in response to bonfire

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan
also Sierra

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Feb 13, 2018 3:49 AM in response to Eric Root

Yeah, I know. My venting here was primarily cathartic... Even though I know I _should_ send feedback, its just really hard to do when you really just want to find answers and you know that it wont help get them. And if I haven't figured the problem out, that makes it hard to describe. And if you expect no one to reply, you can't ask questions. So sending civil and useful feedback into the Apple black hole is easier said than done.

Feb 13, 2018 4:08 AM in response to bonfire

If you click on system preferences are the settings altered in date and time , changing read and write permissions in guest , shared , home folder will create both in apple mail application and iCloud mail .

What is connection doctor stating are they having green dots , please post a picture of internet accounts for iCloud and web mail account , and go to System Preferences > iCloud - screen shot of this also .

Hide your email address and photo if it is saved .

A question can you sign in with Apple ID in www.icloud.com , in appleid.apple.com , in App Store , iTunes .

The Apple ID is kept same as webmail id ( could be gmail or any ) .

When you enter in system preferences > click on iCloud your Apple ID must be written and on the right side all boxes are checked except back to my Mac .

And in internet accounts both for web mail and i cloud all boxes are checked in iCloud section back to my Mac is unchecked .

Feb 13, 2018 4:14 AM in response to tygb

Thanks for trying to help figure this out - however i figured it out already, I just forgot to hit the "solved" button. Basically, I had to completely log out of iCloud by clicking the sign out button from the icloud settings pane. Surprisingly, logging out of my user account & even rebooting didn't fix it. Only when I clicked Sign Out did that seem to reset things. What was weird was, it kept asking for my password so I assumed I was already logged out of icloud and I guess that's why it took my a while to notice it..

mac os x / icloud login just freezes...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.