Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High sierra recents files

Hi all,

I find the recents files list annoying! I removed the sidebar recent folder hoping that the problem would disappear, but it didn't. When I open the finder the list of recent files is still there. I also went in system preferences->general->recent items set to none, but it keeps adding files whenever I open new ones. It is very annoying for two reasons:

1 - when I open a finder window, in my old macbookpro, it would show my "home" folder which is why one usually opens the finder window, to search for files, so it forces me to add an extra click, if you think how much times one opens the finder in one workday, it's very little productive, a real nuisance

2 - I am a freelancer and often work side by side with colleagues, among the recent files I have contracts I sign with customers which usually show the customer name in the file title. I see often see colleagues looking with interest at those names. Privacy issues? My work always entails the presence of a colleague sitting next to me and I find this disturbing. And it's not a matter, as I read in some other post, of having "indicent" files listed there. Nothing of the kind! I have my business files there!

Does Apple listen to the customers' complaints or do they sell a 2000 euro macbook pro and disregard these issues?

I am not new to Mac and Apple, I have never owned a windows machine, but Apple arrogance in disregarding important issues to its customers is annoying!

I have a brand new Macbook pro 2017, touch bar and touch id, bought it in December last. High Sierra MacOS, just downloaded the latest update.

On a side note not related to this issue, but if a customer buys a 2000 euro mac which no longer has the traditional usb ports, charging that customer € 25 for an adaptor, which I bought, I thought was mean! Apple, you would have made me a more loyal customer if you gave me that thing free of charge.

Thanks for your help

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 7:12 AM

1- Open Finder Preferences and set it to open wherever you’d like.

2- Don’t open the Recents folder when you are with other clients.

Change your Finder preferences and remove Recents from the Sidebar in Finder Preferences and you won’t ever have to see Recents at all.

There is nothing to delete to clear the folder as it is not a folder. It is a search that shows you all files that have a kMDItemLastUsedDate metadata set. The Recent Items list has nothing to do with the Recents search folder.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2018 7:12 AM in response to giobi

1- Open Finder Preferences and set it to open wherever you’d like.

2- Don’t open the Recents folder when you are with other clients.

Change your Finder preferences and remove Recents from the Sidebar in Finder Preferences and you won’t ever have to see Recents at all.

There is nothing to delete to clear the folder as it is not a folder. It is a search that shows you all files that have a kMDItemLastUsedDate metadata set. The Recent Items list has nothing to do with the Recents search folder.

Feb 7, 2018 7:37 AM in response to CountryGirl56

Didn't mean to be rude CountryGirl and I apoligize if it sounded that way.

Barney actually provided another answer on top of the one you are mentioning that addressed my porblem.

Barney wrote: "1- Open Finder Preferences and set it to open wherever you’d like"

Sorry I specify not to pick on you, but because some other people might have the same problem and that is the solution.

Thank you anyway for taking the time to reply and sorry once again if I came across rude.

High sierra recents files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.