Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop ios safari reload

How to stop iOS Safari reload of tabbed web pages?

Simply, you can‘t.

The reason is not so much malicious or nefarious on the part of Apple, as some have suggested that the auto-reload behavior of tabbed Safari web pages was developed under pressure from web sites and SEO operators to increase their traffic; this is not the case, though it might be in the future.

As Paleorific mentioned on Mar 1, 2015 in response to Colocynth, the reason is a little more hardware-simple: web pages, nowadays with all their embedded scripts and fancy graphics and layouts are big, and an iPad or iPhone just doesn’t have enough [RAM] memory to store them for each tab you open. in the words of Palorific,

Unfortunately it's a limitation of the device itself. Only 1 GB of ram, it seems Apple did not increase the ram to keep up with the other improvements. I have the same issue on my 5S. Using only safari and youtube and the same time, they will often refresh. I can be watching a YouTube video, do a little browsing on safari, and when I come back to youtube, the App will refresh and I lose my place on the video I was watching.

the only way to stop this is by getting a windows / android device with more than 1GB of ram. Last time I checked, a galaxy Note 4 can have the same webpage open for days, never reloading, even after opening tons of other apps, because the device has 3GB of RAM for multi tasking.

maybe 2015 will finally be the year we get more than 1GB of ram.

So, the [only] solution right now is to close all your Safari tabs as soon as you are done with them.

Browser tabs are meant for quick side-bar references of other material during your search session, such as when you need to look up something for your primary search query. Safari browser tabs were never designed to be for longer term information storage.

If you did want or need to capture a page, Apple suggests that you save the page to PDF: touch that little square with the up-arrow icon, to ”Save PDF to iBooks”, and the entire web page will be permanently stored on your device. The web site address will even be preserved at the bottom of each page, as a footer!!! Very handy to copy/paste and get back there, if ever needed.

HOPEFULLY, we will see in future smart devices with more RAM and less Flash memory. Such a device would fix the root cause of the problem mentioned above. I personally would forego the 256Gb only to have 32Gb RAM on my iPad...

ps, it’s like C. Walken, who has a fever, said that the only prescription is more ...

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 9:25 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

How to stop ios safari reload

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.