Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to erase old phone WITHOUT affecting iCloud?

I have an older iPhone 6+ that wish to completely erase. My new iPhone X is already up and running and in sync with iCloud.

I don’t wish to effect iCloud in any way by erasing my older phone. What do I do to be sure of not effecting iCloud?

Thank you

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 9:16 PM

Hi curiositee,

First, check your backup on icloud.com to make sure your backup is there. If not, do a backup.

After confirming your data was backed up, sign out of iCloud on your device; it will prompt you to turn off Find my iPhone, which you certainly want to do, and sign out of the iTunes and App store in settings if it is necessary.

Then, go to settings- General- reset - erase all content and data.

Allow time for the erase to complete.

Also, I'd backup to iTunes also as a precaution.

When you get a new device to set up, you can restore your data from your iCloud backup

Take care ~

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2018 9:16 PM in response to Curiositee

Hi curiositee,

First, check your backup on icloud.com to make sure your backup is there. If not, do a backup.

After confirming your data was backed up, sign out of iCloud on your device; it will prompt you to turn off Find my iPhone, which you certainly want to do, and sign out of the iTunes and App store in settings if it is necessary.

Then, go to settings- General- reset - erase all content and data.

Allow time for the erase to complete.

Also, I'd backup to iTunes also as a precaution.

When you get a new device to set up, you can restore your data from your iCloud backup

Take care ~

How to erase old phone WITHOUT affecting iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.