Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an (running) interval training app for the Apple Watch that DOES NOT require me to carry the phone?

Is there an (running) interval training app for the Apple Watch that DOES NOT require me to carry the phone?

Interval training

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 1:30 AM

6 replies

Feb 8, 2018 1:45 AM in response to manu154

Hi

The built-in Workout app does not currently support setting intervals for workouts.

You may find that a third-party app meets your needs.

You may wish to consider, for example:

Intervals - Workout Interval Timer on the App Store

• "THE BEST APPLE WATCH INTERVAL TIMER"

Runmeter Running & Cycling GPS on the App Store

• "Set up repeating intervals, pyramid intervals, or tempo workouts."

To browse and search for these and/or other third-party apps with the results pre-filtered to include only those iPhone apps that also include an app for Apple Watch, use the Watch app on your iPhone. Apps can be searched by keyword or app name via the Search tab.

Follow the instructions here to add and use compatible apps on your Apple Watch:

Use apps on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you would like to submit a feature request to Apple in respect of the Workout app, then you can do so here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Feb 14, 2018 3:28 AM in response to manu154

Intervals

In order to benefit from the full set of features offered by Intervals, check that your iPhone and Apple Watch are updated to the latest software:

The developer advises that features offered by Intervals on Apple Watch under watchOS 4.x include distance tracking and, for GPS-enabled models (which include Apple Watch Series 2), route tracking:

• " Leave your phone at home and workout with Intervals on the Apple Watch
  • Alert Sounds and Voice Prompts to guide your through your workout
  • Configurable haptic alert countdown that taps you on the wrist when the interval is ending
  • Track heart rate, calories and distance, and pace
  • Route tracking for running, walking and cycling
  • Optionally pair an external heart rate monitor to your Apple Watch for use use in Intervals
  • Workouts contribute to the Apple Watch Activity Rings "

For assistance with questions concerning the features of Intervals when used in conjunction with Apple Watch (and to submit any feature requests if the app does not currently meet your requirements), I suggest that you contact the developer:

Other apps

To browse and search for third-party apps with the results pre-filtered to include only those iPhone apps that also include an app for Apple Watch, use the Watch app on your iPhone.

Apps can be searched by keyword or app name via the Search tab or browsed via the App Store tab.

Feb 14, 2018 4:50 AM in response to manu154

manu154 wrote:

As it turns out you were wrong. I bought the Runmeter elite app (I had already bought 'Interval) and I discovered that I have to carry the phone with me to measure the intervals. The app stops functioning on my watch (Apple Watch 2) if the phone is out of range.

To be clear, I did not tell you that Runmeter could be used in the way that you desired.

I mentioned it as one of two apps offering interval features that may meets your needs and that you may wish to consider looking into. The app description for Runmeter states that the iPhone must be taken along ("Keep your iPhone in your pocket").

manu154 wrote:

.. Can I please request you to connect me to a human. ..

It is not the responsibility of other users (this is a user-based technical support community) to find third-party apps that meet your specific needs. When posting here, impolite comments are not appreciated by those who may invest their time and effort in trying to help you.

My previous reply explains how you can search for any further third-party apps yourself, including with the results pre-filtered to include only those apps for iPhone that include support for Apple Watch (although not necessarily for use on a standalone basis).

I suggest that you read the developers' app descriptions, consult their linked support resources and, if necessary, contact the developers for assistance regarding the features of their respective apps.

If you bought your Apple Watch from Apple (whether online, by phone or in an Apple Store), then you may wish to take advantage of a free Personal Setup session (refer to Apple's related email to schedule this).

Personal Setup can help with answering questions, explaining key features, helping you to find apps and showing you how to personalise your Apple Watch:

Apple Store - Personal Setup - Apple

Feb 14, 2018 2:38 AM in response to Jonathan UK

As it turns out you were wrong. I bought the Runmeter elite app (I had already bought 'Interval) and I discovered that I have to carry the phone with me to measure the intervals. The app stops functioning on my watch (Apple Watch 2) if the phone is out of range. Can I please request you to connect me to a human. What I want is simple -- something I used to enjoy on my ancient Garmin watch. I want to run 400 m fast, 200 m slow, 400 m fast, 100 m slow, 600 m fast, 300 m slow and so on. That is all. (The Interval app is merely a timer - I can set it to run fast for say 90 seconds and rest for a minute but it does not measure the distance I have run.) I do not see why this must be so complicated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.