Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting .wmv to quicktime

I'm trying to figure out how to convert .wmv files to quicktime files...can you do it with quicktime pro? If not anyone know of any other program that can do this?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 23, 2007 9:15 AM

4 replies

Jan 23, 2007 9:25 AM in response to obeygiant74

I'm trying to figure out how to convert .wmv files to quicktime files...can you do it with quicktime pro? If not anyone know of any other program that can do this?
You require a QT component that handles WMV. Flif4Mac is the official supplier for the mac version. Key to unlock conversion from WMV to QT is $29 (or $49 for conversions in both directions). The component will work in QT Pro or any Apple application that allows access to the QT file export options (e.g., iMovie, FCE, FCP, etc). It will also work with free applications like MPEG Streamclip.

User uploaded file

Jan 23, 2007 10:16 AM in response to obeygiant74

Thanks guys...so, can i convert just using quicktime pro or do I need flip 4 mac pro as well? I have quicktime pro, and the free flip 4 mac, will that work?
No, the free component only allows you to view supported file formats in the QT player. The $29 level will allow you to convert from WMV to QT compression formats. The $49 level will give you bidirectional conversion capabilities. (Export to WMV 9 is by preset profiles only however.) Higher levels give you the ability to create and use your own custom export profiles and/or add HD capabilities. What you need depends on what you want to do. Levels are "upgradable" which means you can add to your capabilities when if you need them later by paying the fee difference.

User uploaded file

Converting .wmv to quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.