Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I send/receive texts on my series 3 AppleWatch with cellular when I'm not near my phone?

I am having no luck receiving or sending text's when I am not with my phone and I am on a cellular plan. It is advertised that this is a feature that the apple watch series 3 has. Help!

Apple Watch Series 3, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Feb 9, 2018 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2018 3:03 PM

You can do this, however under certain circumstances, such as sending an SMS, to a non-iOS device, it is necessary that the phone be on. See this support document, How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support and check Note 1, regarding SMS.

To receive SMS, MMS, or push notifications from third-party apps on your Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby. You also need to be signed in to iMessage on your iPhone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2018 3:03 PM in response to nam58

You can do this, however under certain circumstances, such as sending an SMS, to a non-iOS device, it is necessary that the phone be on. See this support document, How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support and check Note 1, regarding SMS.

To receive SMS, MMS, or push notifications from third-party apps on your Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby. You also need to be signed in to iMessage on your iPhone.

Why can't I send/receive texts on my series 3 AppleWatch with cellular when I'm not near my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.