Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone X excessive data usage

Hello there. I’ve been using iPhones since 2009 and I never once had an issue with data usage. I am currently on a 30Gb family plan and each month I ALWAYS ALWAYS have roll over data. We barely use up all of it. At least 5-10GB roll over each month. Ever since we got our iPhone X in December, we used up all of our data plus extra roll over! I’ve called ATT and they said we should turn off the WiFi assist. Even so with that option turned off. Now I am still burning so much data. I don’t quite understand, I’ve been reading online and many people also has the same problem and apple doesn’t seem to have an answer! Can someone please help ? I can not afford to pay extra monthly for this usage, even with WiFi on it still shows on my log that I’ve used xxx gb. It does not make any sense to me at all.

Posted on Feb 11, 2018 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2018 12:30 PM

im having the same issue. ATT says not their problem talk to apple or get a bigger data plan. Apple says not their problem turn off all the apps. People... without apps i no longer have a smartphone. If i have to wait to use apps when i get home to use wifi. Well guess what. save the $1200 spent on iphone x and get an ipad and connect to wifi at home. Im a huge apple fan i have all their products except the watch. Im wondering if between apple and ATT if the iphone has jumped the shark. Time to look at Galaxy at less than half the purchase price? Who cares how good the OS is. if i can't use it.

Bottom line

iphone 6 = 1.5GB / Month (average over 12 months)

iphone X = 18GB / Month

same apps

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2018 12:30 PM in response to DigitalGenius

im having the same issue. ATT says not their problem talk to apple or get a bigger data plan. Apple says not their problem turn off all the apps. People... without apps i no longer have a smartphone. If i have to wait to use apps when i get home to use wifi. Well guess what. save the $1200 spent on iphone x and get an ipad and connect to wifi at home. Im a huge apple fan i have all their products except the watch. Im wondering if between apple and ATT if the iphone has jumped the shark. Time to look at Galaxy at less than half the purchase price? Who cares how good the OS is. if i can't use it.

Bottom line

iphone 6 = 1.5GB / Month (average over 12 months)

iphone X = 18GB / Month

same apps

May 7, 2018 11:10 AM in response to Nguyentiffany417

I’m also having the same problem with my iPhone X . I’ve had my phone since December 2017 and I been enjoying it , using an average of 5.5 gb on a monthly base . I’m also had my phone auto update . So April gets here now I’m using about 30 gb in one month. Kindly understand that I’m doing the same on stuff I usually do on the internet. To try to fix my problem I switch off and on the mobile data when the from is in use. And now I only chat on what app and I’m still using 1 gb a day . 😡 have u fix and how do I fix this .

Mar 9, 2018 6:39 PM in response to Nguyentiffany417

I’m having the exact same issue WITH DATA TURNED OFF for all non Apple apps. I used the AT&T app to check mobile data, I had use only 3gb of data. By the end of the day, with all apps closed and email The only thing enabled for background refresh was email and weather. I got home and 5gb of data was showing as used. At this point, I’m on WiFi so other apps were used. After about 1/2 hour, I got an alert from AT&T stating I’d used 75% of my data. Another half hour later, another message stating I’d used all my data and I’d be limited to 128kbps. I callled AT&T and the tech support said I had a data spike while I was on WiFi! AT&T polls data usage every 3 hours. I explained during that time, I was on WiFi. He had no explanation, yet no courtesy in adding data.

My average cellular usage is 3gb a mont and now I’m to believe I suddenly used 8gb in less than 3 days into my billing cycle? There’s something wrong with that. I’ve never gone over and always have had rollover data.

Apr 8, 2018 12:07 PM in response to Nguyentiffany417

I’m testing the iOS public beta 11.4 and have seen a significant drop in data usage. One thing, however, is I’ve noticed, in general, that apps that are allowed to run as a background process, seems to do more now than before, even on earlier devices. I believe it may be app specific, using data at will. I completely removed all non apple apps prior to installing the iOS beta 11.4 and did notice almost zero data use. I believe third party apps may need tweeeking for iOS 11.x to help eliminate excess data use. My iPad actually was doing the same, however, since it’s on WiFi, I never noticed. It wasn’t until I installed a network monitor on my home network, that I noticed this issue.

I’ve since restored all my apps with iOS 11.4, and see the issue still exists, just not to the degree I was before. Disabling cellular for apps I don’t use outside of home and disabling background app refresh has not only eliminated the data “leaks” but significantly increased my battery life.

If you’re having this data usage issue, go into settings, then Cellular, then look at your installed apps. It will show their cellular data usage under each app. I had a couple of games using 500Mb to 1Gb, and I haves even OPENED them since installing. Turn data off for any app you don’t use on cellular! If you mistakenly turned data off for an app you use, no worries, when you open it, it will TELL you it needs WiFi or cellular data to function and gives you a button to go right into settings to turn data back on. I think, because many people have unlimited data, app devs are taking advantage of this by having their apps constantly connect, for updates, or promos; whatever. I think we’re noticing this with the iPhone X because it’s shiny and new as I’ve seen this data use issue with others with iPhone 8 Plus down to iPhone 5’s. But everyone I know with these devices don’t notice it due to unlimited plans and many being grandfathered into unlimited data plans that cannot be throttled.

I did put my SIM card into an android phone, an LG Phoenix 2 with Nougat on it and experienced the same data use from the android versions of the same games and apps. Office was a huge offender as was several games like Injustice 1 & 2, most Marvel fighing games, and work out apps! So it’s clearly NOT an Apple only issue as I though, but a very gratuitous “open gate”, if you will, for app devs to use cellular data whenever they want, regardless of the amount of data.

I DO fault Apple here. There is NO REASON what so ever for them not to give us the ability to set warning levels and our own data caps like Android has hand pretty much since it’s inception.

I hope this helps folks out.

IPhone X excessive data usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.