Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer non-purchased music from iPhone 7 to iTunes

I recently purchased an iPhone X and would like to get my music from my iPhone 7 to X. I tried uploading the music to iTunes but because it's older music from CDs and such, it won't transfer over because I didn't purchase them from the iTunes store. When I plug the iPhone 7 into the computer it pulls up the music, but I can't get it into my iTunes library. On my phone it says "showing only music on this iPhone". I've already done a backup to my computer and restored the backup to the iPhone X, but obviously none of the music transferred over because it didn't go into my library. Also, I am using a windows operating system on my HP. Any tips on how I can get this transferred over would be great. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 12, 2018 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2018 8:14 PM

There is no direct way to get music out of an iOS device since iTunes syncing is generally a one way deal.

If you have no other backup or location where iTunes can access the music from, you will need a 3rd party App to extract the music from the iPhone.

You can read here for suggested Apps and methods:

Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2018 8:14 PM in response to adugre620

There is no direct way to get music out of an iOS device since iTunes syncing is generally a one way deal.

If you have no other backup or location where iTunes can access the music from, you will need a 3rd party App to extract the music from the iPhone.

You can read here for suggested Apps and methods:

Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device

Feb 12, 2018 8:17 PM in response to Phil0124

I paid $20 and used one of the 3rd party Apps to extract the music from my iPhone 7, but for some reason it only extracted my podcasts and then erased 456 songs from my library. Kind of disappointing because I didn't have the songs backed up to anywhere else, but I guess there's nothing I can do. Thanks anyway for your help!

Feb 13, 2018 11:30 AM in response to adugre620

Were those tracks erased from the iTunes library or the iPhone library? iOS device backups don't include media, which should always be kept in a local iTunes library, and which should be backed up in turn. That's why restoring the backup of the iPhone 7 to the iPhone X didn't do what you expected. If tracks that were in your library are now not shown have you checked the contents of the media folder in case iTunes has a case of amnesia?

Which software did you use BTW? If it actively deletes anything from the device it is supposed to be recovering data from then I want to remove it from the list in that user tip. And you should ask for a refund.

tt2

Feb 13, 2018 1:15 PM in response to turingtest2

The tracks were erased from the iPhone library, they weren't backed up to iTunes recently because it wouldn't transfer the non-purchased songs to the library. I did have them in an older iTunes library, but when I accessed it (by pressing shift when opening iTunes and choosing an older library), the tracks were there but when I tried to play them it said they could not be located so I'm not sure what happened.

I used TuneJack. I did contact them to let them know what happened and requested a refund, however I still have not heard back from them. I will give them another day and if I still don't hear back I'll dispute the charge on my card. Thanks for your help and concern.

Feb 13, 2018 1:41 PM in response to turingtest2

I have located the original files, when I play the song it creates a duplicate in the old library, but the song now works. I'm wondering if I should open my current library and start opening the songs, that way there aren't duplicates and it's my current library. Also, once I do this, will it keep my songs in there? Just want to make sure cause 456 songs is going to be a lot of clicking. And one other thing.. will I be able to then sync my X and get the songs on my phone?

Feb 13, 2018 2:44 PM in response to adugre620

Can you provide the answers to the 3 questions at the bottom of the post? Or you could simply copy the tracks into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder of your current library if you're not concerned about playlists, ratings, play counts, etc. from the old one.

And yes, once the tracks are in your library you will be able to add them to your phone.

tt2

How to transfer non-purchased music from iPhone 7 to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.