Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i turn off the high sierra server

I installed AAMPS and have it running.

When I enter 'localhost', the HS Server's localhost responds.

Everything I find on the Internet refers to doing things with the Server app but there is no server.app on my computer. I've located the index.html file that is being loaded and changed the text in it so I can tell when it is being loaded instead of the one for AMPPS.

I believe I've located the correct httpd.conf in which to make changes.

I used to be an 'ace' at all computer work but radiation treatments to my brain crippled my memory making everything I do a relearning experience.

So am I missing an easy fix?

This is a MacBook Pro, (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), running the latest version of High Sierra.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 12, 2018 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2018 6:40 PM

If you don't have Server.app installed on your system in the /Applications folder, then you're probably not running macOS Server. Server.app is the front-end for configuring and managing and uninstalling and the rest of the pieces of macOS Server, though it is the front end and doesn't need to be running. Server.app is present in /Applications in every installation, however.

The base macOS system does include Apache, and add-on packages such as AMPPS and MAMP and XAMPP add their own copy of Apache.

If you're using the add-on copy of Apache from somewhere — I don't immediately see a package AAMPS available, so I'm not sure which package you're running here — then you'll have to use whatever that package expects to manage the server.

If it is AMPPS that you are running, then (toward the bottom) the AMPPS documentation describes how the AMPPS folks expect the in-built Apache to be disabled. Or invoke the AMPPS httpd server directly (as described on that same documentation page), and see what errors might be generated. Once the in-built Apache is disabled, the in-built admin tool should be available.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2018 6:40 PM in response to Sweet William

If you don't have Server.app installed on your system in the /Applications folder, then you're probably not running macOS Server. Server.app is the front-end for configuring and managing and uninstalling and the rest of the pieces of macOS Server, though it is the front end and doesn't need to be running. Server.app is present in /Applications in every installation, however.

The base macOS system does include Apache, and add-on packages such as AMPPS and MAMP and XAMPP add their own copy of Apache.

If you're using the add-on copy of Apache from somewhere — I don't immediately see a package AAMPS available, so I'm not sure which package you're running here — then you'll have to use whatever that package expects to manage the server.

If it is AMPPS that you are running, then (toward the bottom) the AMPPS documentation describes how the AMPPS folks expect the in-built Apache to be disabled. Or invoke the AMPPS httpd server directly (as described on that same documentation page), and see what errors might be generated. Once the in-built Apache is disabled, the in-built admin tool should be available.

Feb 12, 2018 5:41 PM in response to Sweet William

Edit the httpd.conf file section:

# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify itself.

# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify

# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.

#

# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address here.

#

ServerName localhost:80

You can find this line at number 220 in the config file.

how can i turn off the high sierra server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.