Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable 5 ghz channel in Airport Extreme Model A1408?

I want to disable the 5Ghz channel in Airport Extreme 5th generation. I found instructions in another thread by someone called Bob, but cannot get to the "Off" option that was suggested. I also cannot find the thread again.

I've tried to turn off 5GHz by going to Airport Utility> edit > wireless options > 5Ghz drop down, but there is no "Off" option. I've also tried changing the Radio Mode, but still no "Off" option. The reason for disabling 5Ghz is that I purchased wireless plugs and a wireless water detector and can't get them connected to my wi-fi network. Any help provided will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

null-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Airport Extreme Model A1408

Posted on Feb 13, 2018 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2018 6:38 PM

The AirPort Extreme A1408 does not have an option to turn off the 5 GHz channel, or (2.4 GHz channel for that matter). This option is only found on the current A1521 version of the AirPort Extreme.

Your best bet might be to assign a separate name to the 5 GHz network, and then "point" devices at either the 2.4 GHz network (which will have the name that you originally assigned to the network), or the 5 GHz network (which will have the name that you assigned to the wireless network with "5 GHz" added to that name.

So, for example if you originally named the network "cocorrodri's Wi-Network", the name of the 2.4 GHz network will be the same. The name of the 5 GHz network will be "cocorrodri's Wi-Network 5GHz".

Some devices have trouble connecting to a wireless network if the network name is too long, contains blank spaces, or contains special characters (like an apostrophe, asterisk, dollar sign, etc).

My recommendation would be for you to simplify the name of your network......something like......

cocorrodriwireless

A shorter name would be even better, ideally no more than 12-16 characters

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2018 6:38 PM in response to cocorrodri

The AirPort Extreme A1408 does not have an option to turn off the 5 GHz channel, or (2.4 GHz channel for that matter). This option is only found on the current A1521 version of the AirPort Extreme.

Your best bet might be to assign a separate name to the 5 GHz network, and then "point" devices at either the 2.4 GHz network (which will have the name that you originally assigned to the network), or the 5 GHz network (which will have the name that you assigned to the wireless network with "5 GHz" added to that name.

So, for example if you originally named the network "cocorrodri's Wi-Network", the name of the 2.4 GHz network will be the same. The name of the 5 GHz network will be "cocorrodri's Wi-Network 5GHz".

Some devices have trouble connecting to a wireless network if the network name is too long, contains blank spaces, or contains special characters (like an apostrophe, asterisk, dollar sign, etc).

My recommendation would be for you to simplify the name of your network......something like......

cocorrodriwireless

A shorter name would be even better, ideally no more than 12-16 characters

Feb 25, 2018 10:36 AM in response to cocorrodri

Sorry, it might be obvious to you, but we still do not know what you mean by "smart outlet plugs". Is this perhaps an Ethernet powerline adapter that provides a wireless signal?

We asked previously.......what is the manufacturer name and model number of the product?......but you did not answer.

We also asked previously......How does the "plug" connect to the AirPort Extreme? Wireless, wired connection?.....but you did not answer.

I'm not sure how a "smart outlet plug" would relate to an AirPort Extreme, but if you could you could please answer the questions, we might be able to look up the product and learn more about it.

How do I disable 5 ghz channel in Airport Extreme Model A1408?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.