Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force Photos on Mac to sync

I'm on a Mac with High Sierra. An iPhone 8 running latest iOS. I took some photos on my phone. My phone is on wifi. I took some pictures. They aren't showing up in Photos. Is there a way to force Photos on my Mac to sync? The ones I took two days ago are there. But the ones I just took 10 minutes ago simply won't appear in Photos. Both devices are on wifi and all other internet features are working find on both.

Can't I just "sync now" somewhere?

Any input appreciated. Thanks,

Dan P.

Posted on Feb 13, 2018 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 2:49 AM

. I took some photos on my phone. My phone is on wifi. I took some pictures. They aren't showing up in Photos. Is there a way to force Photos on my Mac to sync?

Did you close the camera.app on the iPhone? The iPhone will only upload new photos after the camera.app has been closed. Check on your Mac at www.icloud.com in the Photos.app, if the photos already uploaded to iCloud. This way you will know, if the bottleneck is the iPhone or your Mac.

Are you using iCloud Photo Library for syncing or My Photo Stream?

If your Mac is using iCloud Photo Library, it will download new photos from iCloud once it finished uploading all photos and videos, that still need uploading to iCloud

To check the status of the upload, see this Help page: Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

What does the status line on your Mac show?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2018 2:49 AM in response to Dan Perkins

. I took some photos on my phone. My phone is on wifi. I took some pictures. They aren't showing up in Photos. Is there a way to force Photos on my Mac to sync?

Did you close the camera.app on the iPhone? The iPhone will only upload new photos after the camera.app has been closed. Check on your Mac at www.icloud.com in the Photos.app, if the photos already uploaded to iCloud. This way you will know, if the bottleneck is the iPhone or your Mac.

Are you using iCloud Photo Library for syncing or My Photo Stream?

If your Mac is using iCloud Photo Library, it will download new photos from iCloud once it finished uploading all photos and videos, that still need uploading to iCloud

To check the status of the upload, see this Help page: Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

What does the status line on your Mac show?

Feb 14, 2018 3:30 AM in response to Dan Perkins

Try to download one of the missing photos from www.icloud.com, so you can check the file format of the photos and can see the filename.

Then search for the filename in Photos. Photos may have downloaded them, but Photos is not always showing the downloads from the iPhone in the Imports album. And you Amy not besting them in the Moments, if "Summarize Photos" is enabled.

Feb 14, 2018 3:13 AM in response to léonie

I was using a 3rd party camera app. However the photos were in iPhoto.

Using it for syncing. iCloud Photo Library is Checked along with "Download Originals to this Mac". All photos I've taken since last Wednesday are showing up in photos app on iCloud.com. So my Phone is sending them out.

Found the status at the bottom and it says "Updated Last Wednesday". I even quit the app and reopened it. It then said "Updating..." for a few seconds then says "Updated Last Wednesday". So it's trying to update, but nothing's happening. Why on earth there simply isn't a refresh button right there is beyond me, but I guess that's not the problem.

Force Photos on Mac to sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.