Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recording Vocals

Please bear with me. I switched from Pro Tools to Logic, and I am trying to get used to it. I went through a bunch of tutorials, and forced myself to record a song I wrote, simply to struggle through and learn Logic. I finally got to the point where I recorded my tracks, and am ready to lay down a vocal. BUT..I find that i have so many questions about how to record vocals. It is very different than what I am used to.

My set up is as follows:

Imac late 2009

Logic Pro X 10.0.6

Steinberg UR44 Sound Module

Behringher Tube amp (for Mics)

Basically, My Mic goes into the Behringer Tube Amp.

It comes out of the Tube amp, and goes into Input 1 on the Steinberg UR44 Sound Module

In the p

Pro Tools world, I'd arm an audio track. At the time I would set the system up so that I would hear a wet signal in my phones, but the vocal would record dry on the Audio track. I would add effects like reverb etc to the vocal afterwards, during the mixing stage.

But in Logic, it's a different world. I'm confused on the following:

1. Should I route my Mic through the Behringer pre/amp /tube amp first before sending the signal into the Steinberg UR44 and then into Logic? My guess is yes.

2. The Library in Logic has patches for Voice. Under the category Legacy, there are also patches for Vocals. Then the channel strip itself has settings in which you can choose Vocal from the library.

So I am very confused.

My goal would be to record a vocal, preferably with a wet signal in my headphones, but a dry signal being recorded. With a view toward applying reverb , compression etc, after the dry signal is recorded.

Is this possible, and is this how vocals are normally recorded in Logic? Or do you pick a setting/patch??, apply it as you record? If that's the case, wouldn't you be stuck with the effects?

Can someone help me understand this?

Thank-you for your time and expertise!

Logic Pro X

Posted on Feb 13, 2018 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2018 8:29 PM

Not to worry... choose a vocal patch, you should her the sound wet in your phones and it will record dry. The audio does NOT record with the effects in the channel strips.

In Logic's Preferences/Audio you will need to have Software Monitoring Enabled and an I/O Buffer of 128 or 64.

Make Sure your audio interface does not have it's direct monitoring enable, (sometimes called low latency monitoring)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2018 8:29 PM in response to Music Fusion

Not to worry... choose a vocal patch, you should her the sound wet in your phones and it will record dry. The audio does NOT record with the effects in the channel strips.

In Logic's Preferences/Audio you will need to have Software Monitoring Enabled and an I/O Buffer of 128 or 64.

Make Sure your audio interface does not have it's direct monitoring enable, (sometimes called low latency monitoring)

Feb 14, 2018 6:08 AM in response to Pancenter

Pancenter

Thanks for that. I am releived to hear that as it did not make sense to me that the signal would be recorded wet.

In terms of understanding this further, what is the purpose of the patches? Can they get applied to a signal after it is recorded dry?

In other words, if i select a vocal patch and record with it, I will hear the wet signal in my ears, but it records dry. Can I then apply patches to the dry signal at mixdown, or do i treat the dry signal with reverb and effects etc., through sends and inserts?

Thank-you

Feb 14, 2018 9:08 AM in response to Music Fusion

Music Fusion wrote:

In other words, if i select a vocal patch and record with it, I will hear the wet signal in my ears, but it records dry. Can I then apply patches to the dry signal at mixdown, or do i treat the dry signal with reverb and effects etc., through sends and inserts?

Thank-you

Yes... the patches are just the same effects you might use, setup as presets. So you will hear them during recording and if left in place, during playback, but the signal is recorded dry. Either method using a patch or your own chain of effects will work. If you look at the channel strip you apply the patch, to it should change to reflect the patch effects chain. (Using Inserts)

Recording Vocals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.