Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing error Stopped - 'Filter' failed

Message to Apple support communities and to Epson Support

I am getting the notorious 'Filter' failed error message. I have had this before and managed to find a way to print something simple (B+W text) first (I think). This time I have not found a way around this despite following many suggested solutions from your website and others. At one point, printing from any application would cause it to simply quit. I can't print anything.

Is there a definitive solution for this problem? This seems to be a common problem many users are having with many other printers for other manufacturers.

I may have other issues happening and I am sure they are separate from this problem which I have had in the past. My computer has been freezing and restarting often would not result in the computer successfully coming back up. I seem to be OK for now, but I had to leave the computer all night after a Restart to find it working this morning.

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Epson Stylus NX510

Printing both wireless and USB

Run Disk Utility

Run virus checker

Run maintenance programs

Run optimization program

Run program to clean all caches

Reset Printing System (Control-Click on printer list) in Printers & Scanners

Set up both wireless and USB printers in Printers & Scanners

Restarted computer several times

Restarted printer

Unplug printer

Remove Epson folder from Libraries/Printers

Check for updates

Tried installing software from Epson website (I can’t find the ‘combo’ package mentioned the first time I tried submitting this problem and lost everything had to rewrite about my issue.

Tried making PDFs and then printing from Adobe Acrobat and from Apple Preview

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Epson Stylus NX510

Posted on Feb 16, 2018 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 8:47 AM

I managed to work out the problem with the Epson tech support people. The ‘Filter’ Failed error seems to me to be the result of something corrupt, or otherwise not right, in the driver software. I do think an uninstaller script made by Epson, or better Apple, would be a good idea. In the old days of the Mac, we could uninstall components and reinstall components of the OS. Now everything is hidden, or so complex that, once something is installed and then develops an issue, it is not possible to easily figure out how to uninstall it. There is a way to Reset the Printing System (Control-Click on the printer list of Printers & Scanners in System Preferences, but a further reinstall step needs to be added. What about other components in the system? How does one do a reinstall of something that may go wrong?

In the instructions from Epson below, you can use Command-Shift G in the Finder, then, a.) Replace 'space'>'space with /; b.) Make sure the items are moved to trash and not just copied; c.) This should work for other printers, so step 10 would be to go to the support page for your printer; d.) If the support page does not offer a downloadable file, follow the steps for Adding A Printer as you normally would in Printers & Scanners of the Systems Preferences.

If you still have a problem persists try the following:

1. Power off your product.
  2. Open System Preferences and select Print & Fax.
  3. Highlight the Epson printer and click on the "-" sign to delete the printer.
  4. Click Delete Printer to confirm and close Print & Fax.
  5. On your hard drive, select Library > Printers. Delete the Epson folder.
  6. On your hard drive, select Library > Printers> PPD > Contents > Resources. Delete Epson Printer Name.gz
  7. On your hard drive, select Library > Cache and delete the Epson folder.
  8. Close the hard drive.
  9. Restart your computer and power on the printer.
  10. Go to http://www.epson.ca/support.
  11. Search for your product or select it from the list.
  12. Select Downloads.
  13. Choose the printer or scanner driver for your system and click Download Now.
  14. Once the download has completed, click on the file from your desktop to launch the installer.
  15. Follow the directions to complete the installation.
  16. Try Printing again. A

From the Epson support page for my printer (note – I found that the driver install was an option available when I did step 5):

The latest printer driver for this product is available from Apple's Software Update. Here's how to get it:

1. Do one of the following:

USB: Connect your product to your Mac using a USB cable and make sure the product is turned on.

Wireless: Make sure your product is turned on. Connect your product to your wireless network.

Ethernet: Connect your product to your Mac using an Ethernet cable and make sure the product is turned on.

2. Go to the  menu on your Mac, then select System Preferences.

3. Select Printers and Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.

4. Do one of the following:

If your printer is not on the list, go to step 5.

If your printer is on the list, select your printer model and click the "-" (minus) button. Then go to step 5.

5. Click the "+" button. (If you see the Add Printer or Scanner... option, select it.)

In the screen that appears, select your printer model as below:

USB connection: Select the EPSON Series (USB) product.

Wireless or Ethernet connection: Select the EPSON Series (Bonjour) product.

Select your EPSON Series product in the Use or Print Using drop-down list, then click the Add button.

6. Go to the  menu on your Mac, select Software Update or App Store, then click the Updates tab.

7. Do one of the following:

If you see an update from Epson, select UPDATE to install it. Note: Apple Software Update may find multiple updates for your system. You may choose to install all or some of the updates.

If an update is not available, you already have the latest Epson driver for your product.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2018 8:47 AM in response to RMGrahame

I managed to work out the problem with the Epson tech support people. The ‘Filter’ Failed error seems to me to be the result of something corrupt, or otherwise not right, in the driver software. I do think an uninstaller script made by Epson, or better Apple, would be a good idea. In the old days of the Mac, we could uninstall components and reinstall components of the OS. Now everything is hidden, or so complex that, once something is installed and then develops an issue, it is not possible to easily figure out how to uninstall it. There is a way to Reset the Printing System (Control-Click on the printer list of Printers & Scanners in System Preferences, but a further reinstall step needs to be added. What about other components in the system? How does one do a reinstall of something that may go wrong?

In the instructions from Epson below, you can use Command-Shift G in the Finder, then, a.) Replace 'space'>'space with /; b.) Make sure the items are moved to trash and not just copied; c.) This should work for other printers, so step 10 would be to go to the support page for your printer; d.) If the support page does not offer a downloadable file, follow the steps for Adding A Printer as you normally would in Printers & Scanners of the Systems Preferences.

If you still have a problem persists try the following:

1. Power off your product.
  2. Open System Preferences and select Print & Fax.
  3. Highlight the Epson printer and click on the "-" sign to delete the printer.
  4. Click Delete Printer to confirm and close Print & Fax.
  5. On your hard drive, select Library > Printers. Delete the Epson folder.
  6. On your hard drive, select Library > Printers> PPD > Contents > Resources. Delete Epson Printer Name.gz
  7. On your hard drive, select Library > Cache and delete the Epson folder.
  8. Close the hard drive.
  9. Restart your computer and power on the printer.
  10. Go to http://www.epson.ca/support.
  11. Search for your product or select it from the list.
  12. Select Downloads.
  13. Choose the printer or scanner driver for your system and click Download Now.
  14. Once the download has completed, click on the file from your desktop to launch the installer.
  15. Follow the directions to complete the installation.
  16. Try Printing again. A

From the Epson support page for my printer (note – I found that the driver install was an option available when I did step 5):

The latest printer driver for this product is available from Apple's Software Update. Here's how to get it:

1. Do one of the following:

USB: Connect your product to your Mac using a USB cable and make sure the product is turned on.

Wireless: Make sure your product is turned on. Connect your product to your wireless network.

Ethernet: Connect your product to your Mac using an Ethernet cable and make sure the product is turned on.

2. Go to the  menu on your Mac, then select System Preferences.

3. Select Printers and Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.

4. Do one of the following:

If your printer is not on the list, go to step 5.

If your printer is on the list, select your printer model and click the "-" (minus) button. Then go to step 5.

5. Click the "+" button. (If you see the Add Printer or Scanner... option, select it.)

In the screen that appears, select your printer model as below:

USB connection: Select the EPSON Series (USB) product.

Wireless or Ethernet connection: Select the EPSON Series (Bonjour) product.

Select your EPSON Series product in the Use or Print Using drop-down list, then click the Add button.

6. Go to the  menu on your Mac, select Software Update or App Store, then click the Updates tab.

7. Do one of the following:

If you see an update from Epson, select UPDATE to install it. Note: Apple Software Update may find multiple updates for your system. You may choose to install all or some of the updates.

If an update is not available, you already have the latest Epson driver for your product.

Feb 16, 2018 11:08 PM in response to John Galt

Since there is no actual file to download on the page mentioned, I followed all the steps a couple of times. The Updates option in the App Store shows no updates to be installed. I always keep my system up-to-date.

I suspect that some file in the Epson folder of Libraries/Printers is perhaps corrupt, but unlike the old days of the Mac, you can't just reinstall the software. At least I have found no way. I dragged that Epson folder out, hoping that it might get replaced by Updates, but it didn't.

A search on the Internet reveals that other people are asking about this problem and they are using other printers from other manufacturers. I don't know if it is a problem caused by the MacOS, or the printer driver software. Maybe the OS is damaging the driver software. I have posted this issue on the Apple Communities website.

As for the virus checker software. They are stand alone and are not set up to run automatically. I think the MacOS Gatekeeper fends off most problems. In nearly thirty years of using Macs, I have never had a virus, etc. But when things get squirrelly, I sometime run some software.

Feb 16, 2018 5:35 PM in response to RMGrahame

"Filter failed" is always due to an inability to load the correct driver that sends the job to the printer. Did you download and install its driver: NX510 Printer Driver for macOS 10.13

Run virus checker

Don't. Those things cannot possibly help and will only cause trouble. Uninstalling whatever "virus checker" you are using in strict accordance with its uninstallation instructions is Step 1 in diagnosing the problem.

Printing error Stopped - 'Filter' failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.