Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual monitors with mid 2011 Mini

I have been running two identical Dell U2414H monitors on my mid 2011 mac mini running OS Sierra (latest update). The "main" monitor is connected from the Mini's mini-display port output, the other from the HDMI connector. For the most part it works fine, I can drag windows back and forth, etc.

However, sometimes when I start the computer the monitor designated as the main monitor goes blank and the secondary monitor is the only one showing, and the screen just shows the background, login prompt,no launch bar, menus, etc. I have to unplug the HDMI and mini display port cables, plug the display port cable back in first until the main monitor shows up properly and then login to the computer, then I plug the HDMI back in. Sometimes the computer starts up both monitors without issue or sometimes the secondary monitor does display all the menus, etc.

It's annoying more than anything but I was wondering if there is a way to make this more reliable and/or if there is a way to daisy chain the display port cables from Mini to main monitor then out of main monitor to the secondary monitor, the Dell's are capable of theses connections if the Mini will support it.

Thanks for any assistance you may have.

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), Corsair 128GB SSD, 16GB 1333 DDR3 RAM,

Posted on Feb 16, 2018 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2018 2:26 PM

Sounds like your primary display is connected Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort and your secondary display is connected HDMI to HDMI...?

Did the problem start with 10.12 or somewhere in between 10.12 and 10.12.6...?

I would try,

1. resetting the NVRAM, as per > How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

2. reversing the displays and connections.

3. different cables, both Mini DisplayPort cable HDMI cable.

4. the 10.12.6 Combo Update. > Download macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Combo Update

If the problem started with or in a later version of 10.12, consider upgrading to High Sierra.

(personally I have a 2010 and a 2012 Mac Mini both with dual displays running 10.13 and no issues)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2018 2:26 PM in response to sjc47

Sounds like your primary display is connected Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort and your secondary display is connected HDMI to HDMI...?

Did the problem start with 10.12 or somewhere in between 10.12 and 10.12.6...?

I would try,

1. resetting the NVRAM, as per > How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

2. reversing the displays and connections.

3. different cables, both Mini DisplayPort cable HDMI cable.

4. the 10.12.6 Combo Update. > Download macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Combo Update

If the problem started with or in a later version of 10.12, consider upgrading to High Sierra.

(personally I have a 2010 and a 2012 Mac Mini both with dual displays running 10.13 and no issues)

Feb 16, 2018 3:34 PM in response to den.thed

Yes, the connections you describe are correct. When did 10.12 come out? If recently then no it didn't start after 10.12, it has been doing this for the better part of a year. I will try your suggestions.

Do you know if the MacMini will support the daisy chaining of two monitors using the display port cables?

Dual monitors with mid 2011 Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.