Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp HELP (No bootable device)

So recently, I repartitioned my SSD and installed macOS Sierra on the new partition. Before I only had Bootcamp and OS X Yosemite (I used Yosemite to install Windows 7 on bootcamp and everything was working fine).

However, after installing macOS on the new partition (I have both Yosemite and Sierra on my laptop now) I can no longer boot to windows 7. I get the "No bootable devices found error." I tried booting through the System Preferences and also by pressing option during startup, but I don't see the Windows partition when I use the "option-startup" method. When I am booted on either OS X or macOS, I can still see the BOOTCAMP partition on Finder and it's still accessible, I just can't boot to Windows.

MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Also OS X Yosemite

Posted on Feb 17, 2018 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 3:12 PM

Download and install GPT Fdisk from https://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/ and disable SIP.

Use the second section (Rebuild MBR) of Re: El Capitan has deleted my bootcamp windows partition as a reference but use 4 5 6 instead of 2 3 4 in step 6 - Partitions to be Hybridized question.

7 replies

Feb 18, 2018 9:43 AM in response to jdabdon

jdabdon wrote:

However, after installing macOS on the new partition (I have both Yosemite and Sierra on my laptop now) I can no longer boot to windows 7. I get the "No bootable devices found error."

This is not an Apple-supported configuration.

jdabdon wrote:

When I am booted on either OS X or macOS, I can still see the BOOTCAMP partition on Finder and it's still accessible, I just can't boot to Windows.

You need to create a new hybrid MBR based on your current partition layout. However, this unsupported configuration is fragile and can cause temporary or permanent data loss and is risky.

Feb 18, 2018 9:44 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks! How can I create a new hybrid MBR and do I have to do a fresh windows installation on that? or will it just fix my current bootcamp partition? (I have a lot of files on my current windows partition so I'm wondering how I can still back it up if I can't boot to it)

Also do I have to remove one of my OS X Installation before creating the new hybrid MBR? Thank you!

Bootcamp HELP (No bootable device)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.