Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Photos App - Internet Connection Required

Hello,

I'm on MacOS High Sierra and I have a 200 mbps internet connection that downloads and streams 4k content with ease - but when I try sharing photos on iCloud Photo Sharing, it says 'an internet connection is required to download larger versions of these items for sharing'. I am connected to the internet and everything else seems to be fine. I can also open old images that aren't stored locally in their full resolution and the photos app is able to download the high res file with ease, as long as I open them individually.

A quick search seems to indicate a lot of other people having this problem as well with no visible resolution. This appears to be a clear bug in either the Photos app or with iCloud Photo Sharing.

Has anyone managed to solve/fix this? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2018 9:44 AM

I've been dealing with this for the last month or so as well... my iCloud Photo Library has been pretty stopped functioning on my Mac. On my iOS devices and iCloud.com they're fine, but Mac is pretty much stalled. Also getting this condition where it requires internet connection but I'm clearly online. I noticed my Activity Viewer is showing ReportCrash whenever I open Photos.app... so I think this is a bug we are running into

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2018 9:44 AM in response to icedchicken

I've been dealing with this for the last month or so as well... my iCloud Photo Library has been pretty stopped functioning on my Mac. On my iOS devices and iCloud.com they're fine, but Mac is pretty much stalled. Also getting this condition where it requires internet connection but I'm clearly online. I noticed my Activity Viewer is showing ReportCrash whenever I open Photos.app... so I think this is a bug we are running into

Apr 6, 2018 10:05 PM in response to icedchicken

It's a bug that stems from one or more of the videos you want to upload being longer than 15 minutes.

Workaround A: Toggle off the wi-fi on your iMac to force it to use your wired connection. You'll receive a notification reporting that one or more of your videos are longer than 15 minutes and will be automatically trimmed, but you'll still be presented with the option to continue by pressing UPLOAD.

Workaround B: Upload the photos using the Photos app on your iPhone instead of your iMac.

Mac Photos App - Internet Connection Required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.