Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch 3 won't work without phone near

My apple watch 3 wont allow text or call to take place (send or receive) unless my iPhone is nearby. I bought it specifically for this purpose however it only works when I have my phone with me. I pay for the cellular service with my provider (sprint) and I have tried on several different days in several locations and it will not work.

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 3:30 AM

Hi

The functions that are available on Apple Watch when it is away from the paired iPhone depend on various factors including:

Features and requirements that apply under various circumstances are detailed here, including within the footnotes:

How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

If you have an Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) model, then it may help to check that you have followed the instructions here for setting up and using the cellular feature on your Apple Watch:

If you still need help, then I suggest that, in the first instance, you contact your carrier for assistance with using the built-in cellular feature.

If the issue persists, then, depending on your carrier's advice, I suggest that you next contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2018 3:30 AM in response to andreadmc

Hi

The functions that are available on Apple Watch when it is away from the paired iPhone depend on various factors including:

Features and requirements that apply under various circumstances are detailed here, including within the footnotes:

How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

If you have an Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) model, then it may help to check that you have followed the instructions here for setting up and using the cellular feature on your Apple Watch:

If you still need help, then I suggest that, in the first instance, you contact your carrier for assistance with using the built-in cellular feature.

If the issue persists, then, depending on your carrier's advice, I suggest that you next contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

apple watch 3 won't work without phone near

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.