Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD and Sierra

User uploaded fileOld ToadApr 2, 2017 10:05 AM in response to tezopine

User uploaded file Level 10 (147,595 points)
User uploaded file

Photos for Mac

Apr 2, 2017 10:05 AM Re: iDVD problems in Sierrain response to tezopine

Since my last post I've run some tests with Sierra and iDVD 7 with complete success. I did have some problems with getting the menu audio to play but after starting over with new project files a couple of times all went well.

If you liked the old iMovie 6 HD to use with iDVD you can still do so. There's a hacked version available here that works with Sierra.

Old Toad,

Your line to a hacked version of iDVD no longer works. I have iDVD '09 and '11 but cannot get them to work with Sierra. Any suggestions please?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Missing mail!

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 5:30 AM

14 replies

Feb 21, 2018 10:16 AM in response to tonyfrompontfarcy

I tried opening your latest suggestion

Was that the link or the downloaded zipped file or the iMovie app?

How is your System Preferences/Security & Privacy/General preference pane configured? Here's how I have mine:

User uploaded file

When you first try to open the iMovie HD app you'll get this warning:

User uploaded file

So Control (right) - click on the app and select Open from the contextual menu.

That will produce this window:

User uploaded file

Feb 23, 2018 6:39 AM in response to Old Toad

Good Afternoon Old Toad,

If I may, let me recap my problem so far. The iDVD disc loads OK into my iMac. Everything appears OK. I can open up the first window with the choice of three options.

I chose open an existing project. When I try and drop this project into the box to be burned onto a DVD disc the project will not "stick", it just bounces back. see screen shot below:

User uploaded file

I can only assume that the latest high sierra OS is not compatible with iDVD.

I think I wasted my money buying a copy of iDVD. Thanks anyway for all your patients.

Kind regards

Tony

Feb 23, 2018 11:15 AM in response to tonyfrompontfarcy

You need to create a new project, select a theme and drag the movie file into the menu window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

I've found that drop zones are not very compatible with High Sierra so only use older, non annimated, non-drop zone themes or you can click on the Media/ Movies button and drag the movie from there into the menu window:

User uploaded file

Feb 23, 2018 11:02 AM in response to Old Toad

I tried that, it does not work. The only thing I noticed is in the left hand pane of the iDVD box an orange triangle appears with an explanation mark in it where it says "Add Movie here". The iDVD icon in the dock does not accept the Ford Model A iMovie.

Obviously I am doing something basically wrong. Can you suggest a simple tutorial (for idiots) on how to use iDVD? Or....iDVD is not compatible with high sierra.

Thanks again,

Tony

Feb 24, 2018 2:55 AM in response to Old Toad

Good Morning Old Toad,

Thank you very much for all your efforts. I tried as you suggested. When I went to chose an older theme I was told I needed to download this from the internet. This I duly did, but when installation was attempted my iMac froze for ages. Finally, it all started to work. When I finally tried iDVD again the older themes where not available.

So despite all you patients, your excellent video tutorial, I'm stuffed. I don't have too much more hair to pull out, and life is all too short!!!

So I will bight the bullet and pay for a downloaded version of Toast 16. Before the latest series of OS up-dates my copy of Toast 15 worked well. Simple... even I could use it. So Toast 16 it will have to be.

Thank you again.

Tony

Mar 4, 2018 11:48 AM in response to frankana

It works to some degree. It's seems to be hit or miss. For me many of the animated themes don't' work correctly nor do many of the drop zones. Plain themes do work OK and that's what I use.

Just be sure you have a minimum of 20+GB of free space on your boot drive for encoding purposes and follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

However, if you don't already have iDVD installed on your Mac I think it's probably too late to try to use it. Not worth it. Best to try one of the many available video DVD authoring apps at the App Store.

iDVD and Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.