Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro stuck on login screen

I've got a Macbook Pro with High Sierra that keeps getting stuck in the login screen, I enter my password and can leave it for hours with no response. I've followed various other guides on this site. First I tried to clear the vram, then I ran disk utility (will come back to that in a sec) and did first aid, says there is no problem. Tried to login again, same issue at not getting past the login screen. So I have reinstalled the OS via the Internet, tried to login again to no avail. One thing I did notice is when going in to disk utility, Macintosh HD is never mounted, but it does let me mount it straight away to perform the first aid. There are also 2 other disks to select in disk utility, 'Apple HD HTS....' and 'OS X Base System', not sure if I can do anything with these to help? Can I ensure Macintosh HD mounts when booting, as I'm guessing this is the main issue? I really need to avoid formatting as I have no backup, unless I can backup my files from disk utility at all?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 2:49 PM

If the computer was not able to boot then you wouldn't get to a login screen. I suggest you have something mangled from before you upgraded. I want you to do the following. It will erase the volume once again. It also assumes you have a working Recovery HD.

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible backup your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2018 2:49 PM in response to xLWSX

If the computer was not able to boot then you wouldn't get to a login screen. I suggest you have something mangled from before you upgraded. I want you to do the following. It will erase the volume once again. It also assumes you have a working Recovery HD.

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible backup your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed.

Macbook Pro stuck on login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.