Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get the kindle app for ios 9 on an older ipad?

How can I get a Kindle app for my iPad 2 with iOS 9.3.5. The latest version requires iOS 10 and I don't get an option to download a different version even though Amazon's website says you will.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 6:14 PM

If you need apps for that iPad 2, that you have never downloaded previously, if you have a computer with an older version of iTunes (version 12.6.3 or earlier ), you can try downloading the recent app/s, by accessing the iOS App Store, through iTunes, and then, download the recent version of the app/s you like to use on your iPad 2, to iTunes on your computer first.

IF you own a computer with an older version of iTunes already on it, try using that version as an iPad 2 does not need the latest iTunes version.

If you have a computer, but NO iTunes on it, here is a link to the older 12.6.3 version for download found in this Apple weblink.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

DO NOT download the latest version of iTunes (version 12.7.x) as there is no more support for saving apps in iTunes under the most recent versions.

Then, back on your iPad 2, you can try to download the latest app from the iOS App Store and if the developer/s has/have left an older, compatible version of their app/s on Apple's app servers, then you will receive a small window pop-up prompt that states that there is an older version of the app that is compatible with your device.. Would you like to download this version now.

Tap the OK button just below the prompt.

Good Luck to You!

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2018 6:14 PM in response to luikemd

If you need apps for that iPad 2, that you have never downloaded previously, if you have a computer with an older version of iTunes (version 12.6.3 or earlier ), you can try downloading the recent app/s, by accessing the iOS App Store, through iTunes, and then, download the recent version of the app/s you like to use on your iPad 2, to iTunes on your computer first.

IF you own a computer with an older version of iTunes already on it, try using that version as an iPad 2 does not need the latest iTunes version.

If you have a computer, but NO iTunes on it, here is a link to the older 12.6.3 version for download found in this Apple weblink.

DO NOT download the latest version of iTunes (version 12.7.x) as there is no more support for saving apps in iTunes under the most recent versions.

Then, back on your iPad 2, you can try to download the latest app from the iOS App Store and if the developer/s has/have left an older, compatible version of their app/s on Apple's app servers, then you will receive a small window pop-up prompt that states that there is an older version of the app that is compatible with your device.. Would you like to download this version now.

Tap the OK button just below the prompt.

Good Luck to You!

Mar 25, 2018 7:46 AM in response to depiras

This works.

You did something wrong.

Download the new version of an app using the iOS App Store through iTunes (You need to be using a version of iTunes earlier than version 12.7.

iTunes 12.6.3 or earlier works!

Older versions of iTunes found here.

https://support.apple.com/downloads/itunes

iTunes 12.6.3 here.

If you are using iTunes 12.7.x, this version no longer supports downloading/installing/storing/saving apps in iTunes!

You need to make a copy of your iTunes Library folder, download and install an older version of iTunes.

Download and install an earlier version of iTunes

Before launching iTunes hold the option key on Macs (alt key on PCs) then launch the older version of iTunes.

Then iTunes will throw up a prompt for you to link iTunes to another iTunes Library.

Select the copy of your iTunes Library that you created.

Then you can log into the the Apps Stores through iTunes using your Apple ID and password and download the new version of the app to iTunes on your computer.

Then go back to your iPad running iOS 9.3.5, launch the iOS App Store and try to download the new version of the app.

If you were successful getting the new version of the app on iTunes on your computer, in the iOS app store on your iPad, iOS App Store should throw up a pop-up telling you an older compatible version of the app is available for you device and would you like to download it?

Tap OK.

This works provided you are using an older version of iTunes.

Good Luck to You!

Apr 5, 2018 5:30 PM in response to fthayer

You didn’t follow the instructions.

In that older version of iTunes, you download the recent version of the app from the iOS App Store, through iTunes, that you need an older version of for your iDevices.

Then, go back to your iDevice, go to the iOS App Store App and try downloading the same app to your iDevice.

If the app still has an older version on Apple’s App servers, a pop-up will appear telling you that there is an older version of the app available for your device and would you like to install this now.

Tap the OK button.

If there is no older version of an app, then, this pop-up message will not appear and there is no longer an older version of an app available for download.

Good Luck to You!

Apr 5, 2018 7:34 PM in response to MichelPM

I'm sorry but I don't understand. I have down loaded iTunes10.6.3.dmg to my iMac. I see the instructions want me to use the 10.6.3 to get a new copy of the Kindle app. But the iMac won't let me run the old iTunes with a newer iTunes installed. How do I get the 10.6.3 to run? Do I delete the new iTunes? I don;t see how to do that either.

Maybe I'm just as dense as of clump of trees.

Apr 6, 2018 12:12 AM in response to fthayer

If you are already running iTunes 12.7.x, then it maybe already too late to try this.

You needed to run the older version of iTunes BEFORE installing and running the newer 12.7.x versions as the newer versions of iTunes no longer support storing/saving apps in the iTunes Library folder.

You can try to locate your iTunes Library folder, make a copy of that folder.

Move your iTunes 12.7.x version to another location, temporarily, get it out of the Applications folder and put it elsewhere.

Then, hold down the option key while launching iTunes 12.6.3, if that works, a pop-up will appear that asks to either select an existing library or create a new library.

Try existing library and navigate to newly created copy of your current iTunes Library folder, if this works, then proceed to the iOS App Store, Log-in with your Apple ID and password and try downloading the newest version of the Kindle App.

If this does not work, quit iTunes 12.6.3, then re-launch iTunes holding down the option key and try the create new library option.

If this works, follow the procedure for getting the app/s and then follow the procedures in my last post to you.

IF NONE of this works, because you are using iTunes 12.7.x, already, I am NOT sure what to do at this point.

It maybe too late for you.

I do not know if there is a procedure out there, or not, that will let you downgrade iTunes to a lower version or not once your original iTunes library has been converted for use with iTunes 12.7.x.

This is why before I upgrade/update my iTunes, I always make a backup copy of my current iTunes app and move it to some other location and, also, I copy my working iTunes Library folder in case something new or unexpected happens that I do not like with a new version of iTunes and I can delete all of the new stuff and go back to my previous setup.

DO NOT DELETE iTunes 12.7.x from your system as this will delete the iTunes Library, too, when you delete it from the trash.

Also, until someone posts with a procedure to revert or use an older version of iTunes when a newer version has already been installed, delete the copy of the iTunes Library folder you just recently created.

Apr 6, 2018 12:07 AM in response to fthayer

One more idea, if this is possible for you, or not.

If you have another newer iDevice capable of running iOS 10 or 11, under your Apple ID, you can download the newest version of the Kindle app to that device, then go back to your older iDevice and attempt to download the newest version and see if you get the older compatible version pop-up message that way.

This is all I got.

Apr 9, 2018 4:47 PM in response to luikemd

Hey! So I got here cause I was having the same problem and after a few mind bending thinking it occurred to me that I can do the same procedure that you do on the app "Instagram" for your iPad 2, since there isn't really an Instagram app made for iPad. You have to download the iPhone version from the app and it give you access to the app.....slightly pixelated but it works.....I tried doing this with the "Amazon Kindle" app and it worked. It asked me if I wanted to download a older version from the app and *BOOM* the app started downloading on my iPad 2 without a problem. These are the steps you gotta follow and see if it works for you. FYI, right now I'm running on iOS 9.3.5 on an iPad 2.

1. Go to the App Store

2. Look for the "Kindle" App

3.Once it gives you the results, on the far upper left corner there should be the option that says "iPad Only". If you tap on it, it should give you the option to switch to "iPhone Only". When you see the "iPhone Only" option tap on it so it changes to the iPhone App store.

4. When it refreshes hit the "Get" button.

5. A pop-up will come up that will tell you something about being an older version of it or something like that....I really didn't read it cause I kind of rushed through the process......click on the download button and VOILA!!!!

If everything came out correctly you should be able to have the "Kindle App" on your iPad 2.

Honestly what I did was pure impulse and pure luck I guess......so if it doesn't work idk what else to do lol

P.S

Sorry for any grammar killers.....suck at typing.

Apr 23, 2018 6:03 AM in response to lynneldh

Do you mean you made a copy of your iTunes Library to a USB stick?

If yes, good.

What Kind of computer are you using Mac or PC?

ITunes 12.6.3 and/or 12.6.4 requires a Mac running OS X 10.10 Yosemite or greater.

Not sure of the system requirements for the Windows PC.

The problem with iTunes is that with every new version release (12.5, 12.6, 12.7, etc iTunes rebuilds the iTunes Library folder for a particular version of iTunes to work.

If you made a copy of your current iTunes library, what I would do is simply move the iTunes 12.7 version out of the Applications folder and say move it, temporarily, into your user (Home folder under your user name).

Then go back to my post reply where I have linked the location for iTunes 12.6.3 (I think that link is for iTunes 12.6.4, now, but that’s fine) download and install the iTunes 12.6.3/4 version onto your computer.

When you first launch iTunes 12.6.3/4 hold down the opt key (alt key on Windows to create a new iTunes library using this older version.

In iTunes 12.6.3/4, log into the iOS App Store using your Apple ID and password and then download/install the latest Kindle app version. Once this is downloaded to iTunes on your computer,

Go back to your iPad and try to re-download the current Kindle app from the iOS App Store on to your iPad and see if the pop-up message appears asking if you want to install an older, compatible version to your device.

If this message appears, tap the large OK button and it should download/install an older version of the Kindle app onto your iPad.

Once you have achieved this, you have a few options you can try.

If all you have is an older iPad, you can keep using this version of iTunes, if you like.

Try putting back your original iTunes Library from the USB stick ORif you still left the original iTunes Library on your computer, you can try launching iTunes 12.6.3/4 while holding down the opt/alt key and choose your original library and see if iTunes 12.6.3/4 will accept it and if it works.

If not, you can move out iTunes 12.6.3/4 out of your Applications folder, put that some where else for the time being (you may still need this to download other apps through iTunes) and put back the iTunes 12.7 app back into your Applications folder, launch it with the opt/alt key held down and chooss to link it to your original iTunes Library if it is still on your computer.

If you removed your original iTunes Library from you computer, AFTER you had copied it to your USB drive, you will have to copy the iTunes Library back to your computer, first, before attempting the above options.

Good Luck to You!

Apr 23, 2018 9:34 AM in response to lynneldh

Download the CURRENT version of the Kindle app on iTunes to your computer first,

You need to download the current version of the Kindle app to iTunes.

Go back to using your iPad and try to re-download the current Kindle app from the iOS App Store on to your iPad and see if the pop-up message appears asking if you want to install an older, compatible version to your device.

If this message appears, tap the large OK button and it should download/install an older version of the Kindle app onto your iPad.

Apr 24, 2018 2:21 AM in response to MichelPM

Michel thank you so much, I was at my wits end. I realised I had asked the wrong question yesterday. However, I tried this morning on my old iphone and yes it gave me an alternative. So I went on to Apple chat this morning, a chap called Gregory was brilliant, (it wasn't so much I want to upgrade to IOS 10 I just wanted to read my books). he told me to go to read@amazon.com and they were all there. Thank you so much for the help in your (I think they call it threads). It must have been good because I managed to follow it. I am so grateful.

Thanks Lynne

How can I get the kindle app for ios 9 on an older ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.