Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting from Photos: Export IPTC as XMP?

I'm exporting original photos via the Photos app, and it's asking if I want to export IPTC as XMP (checkbox option). I'm unfamiliar with these terms. Can someone explain how one would know whether they need to select this option or not? Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 21, 2018 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2018 6:41 AM

IPTC as XMP is a very useful option. It will export a second file in XMP format together with the original image. Keep this file in the same folder as your exported original files. Many image processing applications can read these sidecar files when they are importing photos and will restore the metadata from thisThis file, for example, if you added location data, keywords, titles the Photos.app can restore them from this sidecar file, when you import the exported phtos to a different Photos library.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2018 6:41 AM in response to hilama

IPTC as XMP is a very useful option. It will export a second file in XMP format together with the original image. Keep this file in the same folder as your exported original files. Many image processing applications can read these sidecar files when they are importing photos and will restore the metadata from thisThis file, for example, if you added location data, keywords, titles the Photos.app can restore them from this sidecar file, when you import the exported phtos to a different Photos library.

Feb 22, 2018 6:46 AM in response to hilama

As to the file naming:

the filename option will use the original filename, sequential will rename the files and use a prefix followed by the number. Title will use the title you added as the filename, if the photo as a title.

the su folder option will the photos from each moment to a separate folder, named like the moment, which makes it easier to find them.

Videos: if you select a mixture of videos and photos, both will be exported.

Feb 21, 2018 4:05 PM in response to hilama

And adding to that....it's also asking under File Naming, if I'd like to " Use File Name", "Use Title" or "Sequential". And Subfolder Format: "None", or "Moment Name".

I'd really appreciate it someone would be able to explain in more detail what these options mean, I can figure out how I need to proceed. Thanks again!

Feb 21, 2018 10:23 PM in response to hilama

If you export the unmodified originals you do not have a file name option, that is only if you export the current modified version - then you can rename the files according to your selection

The IPTC included the photos metadata and if you included it when you export the unmodified originals when you import them to another program later you get the metadata including any changes you have made sine you imported the photo

If you select all and export you get all

LN

Exporting from Photos: Export IPTC as XMP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.