Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not unlock my users & group preferences

Hello,

I'm using MacBook Air. Recently I have changed the username from the user groups which now giving me a trouble to log into my user profile. I can not even install and uninstall software since it is asking the Username and Administrator password - even after giving the right details can not log in. Can you please help?

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Feb 22, 2018 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2018 6:05 AM

From what I'm seeing in the screenshot, it appears that you're a standard user, not an administrator. What I find extremely odd, though, is that your computer doesn't seem to have an administrator account at all.

To create a new administrator account without needing any passwords, first print, copy or write down these instructions -you won't be able to access them while you're doing this procedure. Then, reboot your Mac and hold down the Command and S keys. You should see rapidly moving white text on a black screen. Once it stops moving, you should see some instructions near the bottom of the screen. Execute these commands in order, very carefully:

/sbin/fsck -fy

Wait for your Mac to say "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok."

/sbin/mount -uw

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone (the period is intentional)

reboot

If all goes well, your Mac should restart to a setup assistant. You will be prompted to create a new user account. (It will automatically have administrative privileges.) Once you have completed the setup assistant, you will automatically be logged into the new administrator account.

If you would like to make your normal account an administrator and delete the extra account you just made:

1. Go to System Preferences and select Users and Groups.

2. Unlock using your new credentials.

3. Click on your normal account and check the box next to "Allow user to administer this computer".

4. Restart your Mac and log into your normal account.

5. Go to System Preferences and select Users and Groups.

6. Unlock using your normal credentials, then delete the extra user.

Hope this helps!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2018 6:05 AM in response to swapanmanna

From what I'm seeing in the screenshot, it appears that you're a standard user, not an administrator. What I find extremely odd, though, is that your computer doesn't seem to have an administrator account at all.

To create a new administrator account without needing any passwords, first print, copy or write down these instructions -you won't be able to access them while you're doing this procedure. Then, reboot your Mac and hold down the Command and S keys. You should see rapidly moving white text on a black screen. Once it stops moving, you should see some instructions near the bottom of the screen. Execute these commands in order, very carefully:

/sbin/fsck -fy

Wait for your Mac to say "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok."

/sbin/mount -uw

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone (the period is intentional)

reboot

If all goes well, your Mac should restart to a setup assistant. You will be prompted to create a new user account. (It will automatically have administrative privileges.) Once you have completed the setup assistant, you will automatically be logged into the new administrator account.

If you would like to make your normal account an administrator and delete the extra account you just made:

1. Go to System Preferences and select Users and Groups.

2. Unlock using your new credentials.

3. Click on your normal account and check the box next to "Allow user to administer this computer".

4. Restart your Mac and log into your normal account.

5. Go to System Preferences and select Users and Groups.

6. Unlock using your normal credentials, then delete the extra user.

Hope this helps!

I can not unlock my users & group preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.