Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown error signing into iCloud

Last week, my iMac informed me that there was a problem with my iCloud connection. My password was not working. I reset it. It works on my phone and iPad, but I am getting an "Unknown Error" on my iMac when I attempt to sign in to iCloud. Has anyone seen this?

iMac, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Feb 23, 2018 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 11:27 AM

Let me be more specific. I haven't changed my Apple ID or password in the past few months. Everything works fine on the iMac until it doesn't. No pattern as to why, but I may get email one minute and the next it says I need to sign into my iCloud account. When I enter the correct password it rejects it saying I am using the wrong password. If I restart my computer the problem clears up ... until it happens again. Using System Preferences does not solve the problem. I'm not sure where the glitch in the system is, but there surely seems to be one. (I have not problem connecting with my phone or iPad using the same password.)

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2018 11:27 AM in response to Eric Root

Let me be more specific. I haven't changed my Apple ID or password in the past few months. Everything works fine on the iMac until it doesn't. No pattern as to why, but I may get email one minute and the next it says I need to sign into my iCloud account. When I enter the correct password it rejects it saying I am using the wrong password. If I restart my computer the problem clears up ... until it happens again. Using System Preferences does not solve the problem. I'm not sure where the glitch in the system is, but there surely seems to be one. (I have not problem connecting with my phone or iPad using the same password.)

Sep 13, 2018 8:58 AM in response to jonathanfromtrumansburg

You realize that there are no Apple representatives here, right? We're all users like yourself. If you want to report problems to Apple use this link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Download and run Etrecheck. Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Apr 15, 2018 9:27 PM in response to NorthCalawacky

I didn't change the password recently, but a MBP computer message told me 'trouble signing into iCloud" so I go and reenter the password. The password is rejected three times, even though same password works with the iPhone. I noticed this a few days and hours/day later I saw a calendar item had at last synched. It fixes itself it seems, but this is making me seriously mixed up on my appointments. Randomly my MacBookPro is disconnected from iCloud, not by my choosing. Currently disconnected. 😟

Aug 3, 2018 5:59 AM in response to Eric Root

This doesn't seem to address the problem (repeated multiple time below). An iCloud password that works on multiple other devices fails to work on a Mac and gives this useless "unknown error" message. I suspect most of the folks on this thread know that once they change their password they need re-login to all of the numerous systems that require it.

Dec 2, 2018 3:08 AM in response to Bbruno9

Same issue. For nearly a year, I've been having problems and thinking someone hacked into my home network with an old MBP and iPad. (I know, everyone thinks their system has been hacked, I really think mine is, and I've contacted Apple several times, the local PD, and even the local Sheriff, no one wants to touch it, nor do they really seem to care. I've done all the usual passwords, installs, fresh installs, restarts, literally everything in the book). I started getting the "unknown error" about a week ago. I've tried everything listed on this thread.

I tried viewing system logs, which after Mojave became impossible (I remember the System 7 days when you could get into a log and see the problem in five minutes 99.9% of the time). I was also thrown off Apple communities, not with an unknown error but with a forbidden 403 -- I'm on now because I signed in thru Apple Support. I'm afraid I'll be thrown off if I post this, but we'll see. If you have read this far, please continue --

There have been multiple artifacts I've found on the MBP about something called krit-toe project and koar krit-toe (misspellings intentional, be phonetic). Also a project with a four character acronym that starts with fi and ends with ps and the number two. I'm being cautious because I've found nothing of substance about this anywhere on the net, except some really intense high tech sites which weren't that easy to find or understand.

There is a bunch of other activity on my system, and has been, but I'm going to try to post this and contact apple again next week. Another issue I've had is no matter what I do or how I install, I don't sign into my disk anymore, it goes right to my user account and no one can tell my why I no longer have disk-level filevault.

Unknown error signing into iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.