Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp error: An error occurred while copying the Windows installation files

I have a Windows 10 ISO file on my macbook

(16299.0.171109-1522.rs3_release_svc_refresh_CLIENT_CONSUMER_X64FRE_en-us)

I am trying to install it on my laptop using Bootcamp.

My version of Mac OS is 10.13.3 High Sierra

Whenever it's almost finished with the installation on the mac side and the partition is created, I get the error message:

An error occurred while copying the Windows installation files

What do I need to do to be able to install Windows 10 on my computer using Bootcamp?

Please help!

Posted on Feb 24, 2018 11:07 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Mar 21, 2018 11:49 AM in response to alexei04

I am an ITAdmin for an architectural firm that uses Apple hardware running Windows 10. The High Sierra -> Windows 1709 install has been rife with errors and failures. I just spent over a day trouble shooting the installation from **** that this configuration causes.. Here are my conclusions and success stories.

I believe the underlying cause of the failures is Apples APFS system in conflict with its partitioning strategy. My understanding is that the newer '16 / '17 (USB-C-based) hardware avoids the USB / External disk installation media and instead is supposed to move the Windows and BootCamp installation files to a utility partition which it then boots from on restart to begin the Windows 10 install. I believe the temp partition (OSXReserved(?)) is inaccessible to High Sierra.. so the entire install fails and you're left with an inaccessible BOOTCAMP partition (it never gets mounted)..

So.... the successful workaround was to:

. Re-open Disk Utility and 're-mount' the BootCamp Partition

. use the Microsoft Windows7 USB Download utility (*or similar) to create a bootable USB drive containing your Windows10 ISO (must be OEM or PRO..build 1709) from a WINDOWS 10 based PC.

. Re-open BootCamp Assistant and download the Windows Support software to the Apple desktop and then move the downloaded folder to an accessible device / folder / network location.

.Finally, attach the bootable USB / Windows10 drive to the MACBook (I used the Apple USB-C/HDMI/USB3 adapter), and restart the MacBook using the OPTION key to select the boot device. The USB will appear as 'Windows'. Choose the Windows startup and press enter to begin the install.

NOTE: you will need a USB Mouse & Keyboard to navigate the installation because the Apple hardware will not work until AFTER you install the Windows Support files.

.Following the normal installation steps (you will need to format the Bootcamp partition) and you should be good to go.

.Once your Windows installation is complete, navigate to your saved Windows Support folder and run the Bootcamp setup.exe to add all the remaining Windows and Apple drivers.... Whew..

Boot Camp error: An error occurred while copying the Windows installation files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.