Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older iPad won't activate after update

I updated my older iPad and now it won't activate. ITunes don't see it when cable is connected. It says update completed. Then I go to complete activating after update but it says it couldn't complete activation because the

activation server is temporarily unavailable. Any help would be appreciated. I hadn't updated it in about a year so I can't remember which ios it was running on prior to update.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, lasted update currently

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 3:08 PM

If your iPad is a cellular model, some have reported that temporarily

removing the sim allows activation to complete.

Otherwise, 5 possible causes for that error message:

1] Activation server is actually down. Very rare occurrence, and of short duration when it

does happen. Solution - try again.

2] Your firewall and/or antivirus software are preventing the necessary connection. Solution -

temporarily disable your firewall and/or antivirus software until the activation completes.

3] computer being used for activation has been used to jailbreak an iOS device in the past.

Solution - use a different computer.

4] iPad has been jailbroken. Your favorite search engine may provide some direction, but jailbreaks often prevent

activations/updates from succeeding. Per Terms of Use for this forum, discussion of jailbroken iPads is

prohibited.

5] your region and/or timezone settings are inconsistent with your actual location. Solution - set region and/or timezone correctly.

You should also check this article: If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201407

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 3:08 PM in response to 2noc2u

If your iPad is a cellular model, some have reported that temporarily

removing the sim allows activation to complete.

Otherwise, 5 possible causes for that error message:

1] Activation server is actually down. Very rare occurrence, and of short duration when it

does happen. Solution - try again.

2] Your firewall and/or antivirus software are preventing the necessary connection. Solution -

temporarily disable your firewall and/or antivirus software until the activation completes.

3] computer being used for activation has been used to jailbreak an iOS device in the past.

Solution - use a different computer.

4] iPad has been jailbroken. Your favorite search engine may provide some direction, but jailbreaks often prevent

activations/updates from succeeding. Per Terms of Use for this forum, discussion of jailbroken iPads is

prohibited.

5] your region and/or timezone settings are inconsistent with your actual location. Solution - set region and/or timezone correctly.

You should also check this article: If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201407

Mar 14, 2018 10:59 AM in response to imobl

1) I've been trying periodically for a week and it's still not working, so I don't think it's the server.

2) Have tried in multiple locations where firewall shouldn't be an issue.

3) & 4) No jailbroken devices here so NA.

5) Not even offered the chance to reset timezone/region in the set up/activation process and since I can't actually get into the iPad, there's no way for me to modify this.

Any other ideas?

I still can't get the iPad to activate. Your support link doesn't seem to be working. Didn't find other solutions through the support page.

Older iPad won't activate after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.