Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant issues trying to connect an external hard drive with usb c adapter ports

So frustrating. I've had the new 2017 MacBook Pro since August of 2017. And have been using an external hard drive (WD Passport) for my photos and various work things and all of a sudden it barely connects or recognizes the drive and when it does finally (takes like 10 minutes), it will crap out at random saying that the disk was ejected improperly. I have been using these "Aukey" brand adapters for the USB ports to go into the usb c ports on Mac. Have tried all the different ports on the Mac and keep happening. Any recommendations?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 5:59 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 26, 2018 9:38 AM in response to lindsayfromorf

den.thed's answer is right on. WD is one of my first choices for bare rotational hard drives but my last choice for external drives because their proprietary chipsets have shown themselves to be awful and customer support virtually non-existant. I've heard of but have no experience with the Aukey brand but I do know that cable and adaptor quality can vary tremendously.

I have access to a good deal of equipment so what I'd do is test the drive on another computer, one that doesn't require the adaptor. If it works I'd try using a different adaptor with the new computer. Assuming the drive uses a standard cable, you might try looking for a replacement cable that doesn't require an adaptor.

Constant issues trying to connect an external hard drive with usb c adapter ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.