Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new laptop - can I replicate an account (on Pro)?

We just bought a new MacBook Pro, which our child will use for school purposes. We will, of course, set up admin accounts, to use the parental control functions.

When I create this admin account on my child's school laptop, is there a way to basically just replicate my existing account? I really like the way my account is already set up on our older laptop. I would love to be able to just "import" this account, with all of its settings, existing Safari tabs, music, etc.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 3:56 PM

3 replies

Feb 25, 2018 4:03 PM in response to YosemiteSully

YosemiteSully wrote:

When I create this admin account on my child's school laptop

The key part of your question in my mind is the word "school" here. You say you purchased this Mac, so the thing I don't understand is if the school itself has any administrative rights to the computer. If you just mean you purchased this Mac with the intent it be your child's for school use, and you are the sole administrator, and the school has absolutely no ownership, then you can do what you would like as follows:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

You would basically start with a replica of your existing computer, and then modify the non-admin portions to suit yours and your child's needs.

new laptop - can I replicate an account (on Pro)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.