Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule - Is it really Wireless ?

I am a little confused with the 'wireless' claims in regards to the Airport Time Capsule 2 TB.

So like most British households i have the standard router that came with my Sky Broadband. Of course i wouldn't turn down the possibility of faster internet but i am looking to purchase the Time Capsule to back up my MacBook Pro, not to extended or boost my wireless network. All reviews i have read talk about connecting the Time Capsule to the router via an ethernet cable, Is this necessary for backing up or is this step only required when wanting to use the Time Capsule as a router / base station ?

Will the time capsule need to be connected to the Sky router at all times or is that just to set it up ?

Or can the time capsule replace my Sky Router ?

I just don't like the thought of having my sky router connected to the time capsule on my desk - A bit cluttered when all i am wanting to do is back up my laptop ?

All i want is to be able to wirelessly back up my laptop, But does that mean an ethernet cable trailing from my sky router to the Time Machine, Or does this product replace the Sky Router ?

Any clarification will help thanks.

James.

null-OTHER

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 5:52 PM

Is this necessary for backing up or is this step only required when wanting to use the Time Capsule as a router / base station ?

Yes, if you want to backup over the Sky router wireless then the TC must be permanently plugged into the Sky router by ethernet.

Will the time capsule need to be connected to the Sky router at all times or is that just to set it up ?

Permanent.

If you setup the TC independently which is possible you must then swap the connection to the TC whenever you want to backup.. no Internet while backing up.. no backing up while you have internet.

It makes having wireless backup pointless if you have to reconfigure the laptop every time you need to backup .. the day you most need a backup will be the day.. week .. month you gave up connecting.

If your Sky router is also a modem.. then TC cannot replace it. Only if you have another modem elsewhere and the sky router is a pure router can it be replaced.. i.e. your Sky router WAN port is plugged into another modem by ethernet.

However Sky would also have to give you passwords.. and they are extremely tight lipped about this. They want to force you to use their router.. no choices.

I just don't like the thought of having my sky router connected to the time capsule on my desk - A bit cluttered when all i am wanting to do is back up my laptop ?

The TC is the wrong product then.. If you want a small and compact.. and reliable backup use a self-powered 2.5" USB drive.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2018 5:52 PM in response to JTresadern

Is this necessary for backing up or is this step only required when wanting to use the Time Capsule as a router / base station ?

Yes, if you want to backup over the Sky router wireless then the TC must be permanently plugged into the Sky router by ethernet.

Permanent.

If you setup the TC independently which is possible you must then swap the connection to the TC whenever you want to backup.. no Internet while backing up.. no backing up while you have internet.

It makes having wireless backup pointless if you have to reconfigure the laptop every time you need to backup .. the day you most need a backup will be the day.. week .. month you gave up connecting.

If your Sky router is also a modem.. then TC cannot replace it. Only if you have another modem elsewhere and the sky router is a pure router can it be replaced.. i.e. your Sky router WAN port is plugged into another modem by ethernet.

However Sky would also have to give you passwords.. and they are extremely tight lipped about this. They want to force you to use their router.. no choices.

The TC is the wrong product then.. If you want a small and compact.. and reliable backup use a self-powered 2.5" USB drive.

Feb 25, 2018 5:54 PM in response to JTresadern

All reviews i have read talk about connecting the Time Capsule to the router via an ethernet cable, Is this necessary for backing up or is this step only required when wanting to use the Time Capsule as a router / base station ?

The Time Capsule connects to an existing network modem or router using a wired Ethernet cable connection. The only exception to this would be a situation where you already have another Apple AirPort router providing your wireless network. In that case...and that case only....the Time Capsule could connect to the network using only a wireless connection.

At all times.

No, since the device that Sky has provided to you is really a modem/router, which is also called a gateway. Your Sky modem/router is actually two products in one.....a modem and wireless router.....but both devices are combined into a single product.

The Time Capsule is a wireless router only.....it has no modem on board.....so if you removed the Sky modem/router and replaced it with a Time Capsule, you would not be able to access the Internet on any of your devices.

But does that mean an ethernet cable trailing from my sky router to the Time Machine

Yes.

The Time Capsule can be located anywhere that you want.....up to 328 feet.....or 100 meters.....away from the Sky modem/router....since there is no signal loss at all through an Ethernet cable up to this length. Smart users will often locate the Time Capsule in a closet or other hidden spot.....(in case of a robbery).....you will still likely have the backups of your Mac.

If the Time Capsule is located where it can be easily seen, it will disappear with the rest of your equipment if an unfortunate event occurs.

All i want is to be able to wirelessly back up my laptop

Apple will expect you to back up your Mac using the Time Capsule wireless. They will not officially support your Mac Time Machine backups if you are planning to use the Sky wireless.....although this might work.

There is really no way to know whether you will be able to back up over the Sky wireless until you try....or....another Sky user who has done this posts to provide more information about this.

Please keep in mind that even if backups seem to work OK using the Sky wireless, that Apple will not offer support in the event of any difficulties that you might encounter in the future with Time Machine backups.....even if you are willing to pay them.

But does that mean an ethernet cable trailing from my sky router to the Time Machine

That means an Ethernet cable that remains permanently connected from your Sky modem/router to the Time Capsule.

Or does this product replace the Sky Router ?

No, it does not.

Frankly speaking, a Time Capsule just may not be the right product for you. A simple USB drive connected directly to your Mac will offer faster and far more reliable backups.

Apple introduced the Time Capsule almost 5 years ago, and they have made no hardware improvements to the product since it was introduced. In our opinion.....the Time Capsule is Apple's most unreliable product.

Other users may have other opinions, so you might want to wait to see if there are any other posts to your questions.

Airport Time Capsule - Is it really Wireless ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.