Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text to Speech

Text to speech has begun to skip paragraphs & pages. I use it most days to proofread my work & this just began happening last week. Restarting doesn’t help. I’ve tried different articles and books, but it happens with all of them. I really rely on this feature. Any ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2018 11:34 AM

Hello trpink,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that using the Accessibility feature Speak Selection has been skipping paragraphs and pages. I see from your post you have already tried restarting your iPhone, but that did not help resolve the issue. Because this is a built-in feature, if toggling the feature off and then on again doesn't help, then reinstalling the software may be needed. Before reinstalling the software, first backup your iPhone.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

By using the steps as listed from the following article you can reinstall the software on your iPhone:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
Best Regards.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2018 11:34 AM in response to trpink

Hello trpink,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that using the Accessibility feature Speak Selection has been skipping paragraphs and pages. I see from your post you have already tried restarting your iPhone, but that did not help resolve the issue. Because this is a built-in feature, if toggling the feature off and then on again doesn't help, then reinstalling the software may be needed. Before reinstalling the software, first backup your iPhone.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

By using the steps as listed from the following article you can reinstall the software on your iPhone:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
Best Regards.

Mar 7, 2018 7:38 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thank you for your response. Did your statement in #4, ”iTunes will TRY to reinstall iOS device without erasing your data”, mean the process may not restore data automatically and I would have to set up my device again? Just making sure. Also, what happens if repeated attempts fail to reinstall iOS?

Regards.

Text to Speech

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.