Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I list Excel files on my Mac going back to 2004 guess they all have extension of .xls

I am looking for a excel file I can't remember the name of.

How can I list all the Excel files on my Mac going back to 2004 guess they all have extension of .xls They could be on my Time Capsule. if I list them on my screen I could interrogate each till I find the one that has the detail I am looking for.

Do hope someone out there can help.

Geoff

time machine-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 10:50 PM

When you say they are on Time Capsule I would assume that means they are inside a Time Machine backup.

Unfortunately you cannot open the file until it has been recovered. The file must be reassembled and loaded back onto your computer.

If you have a particular search term you know then you might be able to find it inside the backup before you recover.

See macOS Sierra: Recover items using Time Machine and Spotlight

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2018 10:50 PM in response to Geoff Redwood

When you say they are on Time Capsule I would assume that means they are inside a Time Machine backup.

Unfortunately you cannot open the file until it has been recovered. The file must be reassembled and loaded back onto your computer.

If you have a particular search term you know then you might be able to find it inside the backup before you recover.

See macOS Sierra: Recover items using Time Machine and Spotlight

How can I list Excel files on my Mac going back to 2004 guess they all have extension of .xls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.