Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update for iOS Photos coming?

I had hoped with iOS 11.2.6 that some of the nagging Photos problems would be fixed. iOS lacks one basic feature of OS X Photos, the simple "i" button for very basic info about the image ( RAW or JPEG?) Plus if I use OS X and add a title or change the file name, that info is stripped out when it shows up in iOS.

I know Apple doesn't give a tinker's dam about higher level photo users, or any camera or format that isn't tightly integrated into iPhone JPEG (or the new proprietary format that nobody else can work with), so I don't expect a new Aperture, or dramatic improvements in Photos. But to block access to basic metadata information? I keep thinking I am screwing up somehow in using the app, so if anybody has any insight on what I'm doing wrong, please lend a hand. Thanks,

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 11:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 12:04 AM

The feedback form for Photos iOS is here: Photos for iOS - Feedback - Apple

Plus if I use OS X and add a title or change the file name, that info is stripped out when it shows up in iOS.

You can still search for this information on your iPhone or iPad, if you sync your iOS device with iCloud photo library. The keyword, titles, filenames are syncing with iCloud, but just not shown in Photos iOS.

But you are right, the lack of visible metadata is a horrible limitation. I do not dare to delete or edit any photo from may iCloud Photo Library on my iPhone or iPad any longer, when I cannot tell which of two look-alike photos I am deleting, because I can neither see the filename nor the title or keywords. On my iPhone or iPad, I just view the photos, I no longer edit them.

When I purchased my iPad, I bought it, because it was a great companion on shooting trips. iPhoto on iOS had advanced editing tools, and I could add titles and keywords to my photos. Half a year later, iOS 8 made iPhoto iOS incompatible, and since then I had to find other uses for the iPad. It is no longer possible to use it to add titles and keywords to my photos when I am on the shooting site. I have to take a MacBook Pro with me and the iPad stays at home.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2018 12:04 AM in response to 20Azartguy16

The feedback form for Photos iOS is here: Photos for iOS - Feedback - Apple

Plus if I use OS X and add a title or change the file name, that info is stripped out when it shows up in iOS.

You can still search for this information on your iPhone or iPad, if you sync your iOS device with iCloud photo library. The keyword, titles, filenames are syncing with iCloud, but just not shown in Photos iOS.

But you are right, the lack of visible metadata is a horrible limitation. I do not dare to delete or edit any photo from may iCloud Photo Library on my iPhone or iPad any longer, when I cannot tell which of two look-alike photos I am deleting, because I can neither see the filename nor the title or keywords. On my iPhone or iPad, I just view the photos, I no longer edit them.

When I purchased my iPad, I bought it, because it was a great companion on shooting trips. iPhoto on iOS had advanced editing tools, and I could add titles and keywords to my photos. Half a year later, iOS 8 made iPhoto iOS incompatible, and since then I had to find other uses for the iPad. It is no longer possible to use it to add titles and keywords to my photos when I am on the shooting site. I have to take a MacBook Pro with me and the iPad stays at home.

Feb 26, 2018 10:45 PM in response to 20Azartguy16

Nobody here knows what Apple plans to do with Photos in the future. (Or if a few do, they would not be allowed to tell the rest of us.) We just have to wait for Apple to tell us whether iOS 12 will have significant changes to the Photos app.

You may express your desired features to Apple through their formal feedback mechanism. They won't likely reply, and they may never implement your suggestions, but I'm told they do read all of them.

Meanwhile, those of us who care about being able to see metadata use third-party solutions. I use ones called Metaphor and ExifWizPro, but neither shows the Photos title or description, and what they do show is outside Photos.

Update for iOS Photos coming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.