Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install High Sierra

I have a Late 2009 iMac. Supposed to be able to support High Sierra. I downloaded and installed it. The computer reboots to complete installation. The installation shows on the bar that it gets about 1/2 way to completion, it then stops and starts over. The installation bar goes to maybe 1/4 of the way, then stops. The message says "Installation in progress. Calculating time remaining..." It never does calculate or continue thereafter. Any ideas? I cleared up my hard drive to make sure it had more than enough space before doing this. Now I have a useless computer. Never had any problem with it until now.

Thanks

iMac, 10.9.5

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 12:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 5:05 AM

Whenever an OS upgrade is done that puts a lot of stress on a hard drive as it has a lot of moving parts and like a car it's the moving parts (tires, brakes, belts, etc..) that wear out. This means when a OS upgrade is done it can put a drive that is not in the best shape over the edge.

However, the last thing to try before taking it to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for service is to attempt to start in the Recovery Partition (Command + R on startup) and open Disk Utility and run First Aid. While not the best test and repair it's what you have. If it doesn't start in Recovery that confirms the startup drive is dead. If it does and you can run DU then there is a chance it will work. After running First Aid, if any errors appear then you know the drive is in very bad shape and must be replaced. If no errors appear then you can exit DU and then re-install Mac OS on the startup drive and then see if it will boot up. If it still won't boot up then off to repair it goes.

Good luck.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 5:05 AM in response to JTLandrum

Whenever an OS upgrade is done that puts a lot of stress on a hard drive as it has a lot of moving parts and like a car it's the moving parts (tires, brakes, belts, etc..) that wear out. This means when a OS upgrade is done it can put a drive that is not in the best shape over the edge.

However, the last thing to try before taking it to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for service is to attempt to start in the Recovery Partition (Command + R on startup) and open Disk Utility and run First Aid. While not the best test and repair it's what you have. If it doesn't start in Recovery that confirms the startup drive is dead. If it does and you can run DU then there is a chance it will work. After running First Aid, if any errors appear then you know the drive is in very bad shape and must be replaced. If no errors appear then you can exit DU and then re-install Mac OS on the startup drive and then see if it will boot up. If it still won't boot up then off to repair it goes.

Good luck.

Cannot install High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.