Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad pro 10.5 battery consumption when using apple pencil

Hi all

I noted that my ipad pro 10.5, which has usually a fantastic battery duration, has a relatively high battery consumption when using an apple pencil namely to perform several annotations on pdf in good reader.

The consumption may be as high as 1% every 2min and it is about 1%/4min when using (like continuous handwriting) the apple pencil in notes app.

I am quite surprised by this high drain and i would like to know what is your experience, please, and/or if there is something wrong with my pen eventually.

Thanks for your kind help and feedback

Cheers

Emanuele

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 3:44 AM

3 replies

Feb 26, 2018 4:25 AM in response to califfo1975

Things you can do to preserve battery life.

If you can, keep the screen brightness down.

In Settings app, General settings panel, turn OFF Background App Refresh for any apps that you feel do not need background data refreshing OR turn OFF Background App Refresh entirely/globally for the entire device.

In Settings App, under Mail settings, set the frequency of checking/fetching email to a longer fetch duration or to manually fetch email when the Mail app is launched.

Also, in general, if you want a faster IDevice, and to further preserve the battery, on all of my iDevices, I turn off most of the iOS motion graphics eye candy, by simply turning ON Reduce Motion in Settings app, General, Accessibilty settings.

Make sure you aren't running scads and scads of background apps in the iOS 11 Control Panel/App Switcher.

If you are, you need to quit the bulk of these background running apps by tap and hold a finger on an app window in the switcher and slide your finger upwards to quit an app. You should be able to use more than one finger to quit more than one app window simultaneously.

Also, make sure you don’t have scads and scads of active website tabs running in the web browser.

If you do, greatly reduce the amount of active website tabs your web browser.

Good Luck to You!

Feb 26, 2018 4:49 AM in response to califfo1975

If you try these things, it still may help your battery life some even when using the Apple Pencil.

I use a third party Bluetooth stylus with my 1st gen iPad Pro and really do not notice a severe drain in my battery, but I optimise everything I can to get the fastest performance and long battery life out of my iPad Pro.

What would it hurt for you to try these suggestions?

It may help some.

Maybe less of a drain on the battery when using the Pencil.

iPad pro 10.5 battery consumption when using apple pencil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.