Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm currently using an Airport Extreme 5th gen and I wanted to extend the wi-fi range.

I'm currently using the 5th gen Airport Extreme and I want to extend the Wi-Fi range using a Cat5e to connect the 2.

So I purchased an Airport Express and hooked it up in bridge mode which worked, but when I do a speed test i'm only getting 94mbps, but when I disconnect the Airport Express and do another speed test through the Airport Extreme I get 250mbps. I was reading online that the Express can only handle up to 100mbps through the Cat5E so I'm guessing this is all I'd achieve.

My question is if I were to purchase another Airport Extreme and use that to extend the Wi-Fi range can I expect faster speeds or would it be the same as the Express.

I am connecting everything through Cat5e and not wireless.

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 5:01 AM

2 replies

Feb 26, 2018 6:33 AM in response to ram102

So I purchased an Airport Express and hooked it up in bridge mode which worked, but when I do a speed test i'm only getting 94mbps, but when I disconnect the Airport Express and do another speed test through the Airport Extreme I get 250mbps. I was reading online that the Express can only handle up to 100mbps through the Cat5E so I'm guessing this is all I'd achieve.

This is correct. The Express has only 100 Mbps Ethernet ports so in theory, that would be the maximum speed that it could achieve.

My question is if I were to purchase another Airport Extreme and use that to extend the Wi-Fi range can I expect faster speeds or would it be the same as the Express.

If you could locate a refurbished or used 5th Gen AirPort Extreme in good condition, you could expect the same performance that you are currently receiving from your existing 5th Gen AirPort Extreme.

A new AirPort Extreme would provide essentially the same performance.

I'm currently using an Airport Extreme 5th gen and I wanted to extend the wi-fi range.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.