Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27in Mid 2011 - Connect to ps3?

Hi all,

I suspect the answer to this may be a flat-out no, since it seems that once iMacs started having only Thunderbolt ports, then connecting to consoles with Target Screen mode became impossible. But just in case anyone has a solution...

I'm thinking about buying a cheap ps3 just so I can replay some retro games. In an ideal world, I'd like to use my iMac 27in. Mid-2011 as a display, using Target Screen mode. Is there any way this might be possible? It seems a shame not to when the massive screen already takes up half my bedroom. Any hope?

Suz

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Mid-2011, upgraded to i7 chip

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 5:40 AM

Suz wrote:

Hi all,

I suspect the answer to this may be a flat-out no, since it seems that once iMacs started having only Thunderbolt ports, then connecting to consoles with Target Screen mode became impossible. Any hope?

Suz

You are correct. A flat-out no. Sorry.

6 replies

Feb 26, 2018 5:33 AM in response to Suz

This is what the target mode can do: Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support and here the technical requirements:

iMac models you can use
as a display

Cable
you need

Port you need
on your other Mac

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort

Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort

Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt

iMac (Mid 2011-Mid 2014)

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

iMac 27in Mid 2011 - Connect to ps3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.