Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App specific password on Mac & Device

Hi

I generated an app specific password on my Mac and then downloaded the app version for my iphone. But of course I don't know what the app specific password is because it's not saved anywhere. I did look in keychain but under 'show password' is says 'signed App Token' and then a string of characters which certainly weren't the original password. So how do I retrieve it? Or do I have to reset it again so that I can write it down and input it manually into the device app too? Clearly Apple are trying to make this as complicated as possible because it's not possible to set my own app specific password!

Thanks for any help

WG

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 4:20 AM

5 replies

Feb 26, 2018 4:27 AM in response to getangar

Hi - thanks for your quick response but this does not answer my question. I did read the article before posting. However if you go to history under app specific passwords it only gives you an option to revoke or delete them, but it doesn't show the actual password itself, simply the name you gave it. So although I know there's a password for 'App1' I still don't know what that password is because I never wrote it down, just pasted it into the desktop app. As I've no idea what it is, I can't enter it into the device app.

WG

Feb 26, 2018 11:26 AM in response to LACAllen

It would be helpful if Apple said that under the FAQ for those passwords. Though copying and pasting into a note or sticky is hardly very secure given the whole process of having to get 2 step authentication for it in the first place! What's annoying is that I was working on the desktop and needed to keep working so I didn't think about opening the app on a device until later. By which time it was too late and I ended up wasting time trying to figure out what the password was.

App specific password on Mac & Device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.