Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime image bad quality on fast Wifi connection, good on cellular?

Previous discussion of this issue has been closed due to a lack of responses.

It is a common problem that Facetime calls work well on a cellular connection but gets choppy on fast Wifi connections. For example:

According to this article on Reddit:

You need newer routers that aren't 2.4GHz based.

Dual band routers with 5GHz result in better performance in things such as FaceTime video calls because 5GHz suffers from little interference, unlike 2.4GHz, which is used by everyone and their mother (literally).

and:

The question is your distance from the router, how many walls, and what ISP speed you go with. 5GHz doesn't go through walls with strength like 2.4GHz does, it's a physics thing. I get 5GHz in my kitchen but I'm on 2.4GHz in my backyard.

It also depends how you set it up; you may have two separate networks (one 5GHz, one 2.4GHz) and everything might be on the 2.4GHz. It could also be one network that throws you back and forth.

Lastly, I can see this is more so an entry level router, so it might have a weak 5GHz transmitter. Although it's costly, $200 routers such as the new Google OnHub have MUCH stronger 5GHz transmitters (and multiple ones) and 2.4GHz is even stronger, so it maybe worth reinvesting into a high end router.

My solution:

I went to my router configuration page (often at http://192.168.1.1) and deactivated the 2.4GHz option, so my whole network is now running at 5 GHz.

I live in a small apartment and reception at a distance is not necessary.

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 8:11 AM

I use a Netgear R8000. Has your standard 2.4GHz band and 2 5GHz bands (I use the second radio, but I reserve the 1st radio for "other users"). I also have an EX7000 Extender in my Bedroom/Office. That one has the 2.4GHz band switched off, because I found it interferes with my Bluetooth devices, one of which is a Bose SoundTouch 20. The Output is also less (set at 25% instead of 100). This runs off the 2nd Radio in the R8000.

But I live in an apartment.

And I've never had that issue, at all, but I'm not discounting the tips. Everyone has stuff set differently.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 8:11 AM in response to AndrewSwift

I use a Netgear R8000. Has your standard 2.4GHz band and 2 5GHz bands (I use the second radio, but I reserve the 1st radio for "other users"). I also have an EX7000 Extender in my Bedroom/Office. That one has the 2.4GHz band switched off, because I found it interferes with my Bluetooth devices, one of which is a Bose SoundTouch 20. The Output is also less (set at 25% instead of 100). This runs off the 2nd Radio in the R8000.

But I live in an apartment.

And I've never had that issue, at all, but I'm not discounting the tips. Everyone has stuff set differently.

Facetime image bad quality on fast Wifi connection, good on cellular?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.