Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Access Time Capsule Backup

I upgraded my Mac Mini Late 2012 (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7) to High Sierra from Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.5). I backed up everything on my Time Capsule (A1470) 2 TB before doing so. I then realized I needed to go back to Mountain Lion, so I attempted to boot from the TC. It asked for my password, but it didn't work. This has always been the password, so I know it's correct. I researched this issue and there can be a password problem due to outdated firmware on the TC. So, I updated the firmware on the TC and reset the password. I also did a hard reset (twice) on the TC. All should have been fixed in theory, but now I still cannot boot from the TC. It's not showing up.

When I connect the TC to my Macbook Pro (Yosemite OS 10.10.5) and Mac Mini (High Sierra), all I see is a CD icon named "EasySuite" on the left toolbar. It does show up under Airport Utility, however.

How can I boot from the TC? Is the drive cashed totally? Or is there some other issue I'm missing?

null-OTHER, Time Capsule

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 6:15 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 26, 2018 6:46 AM in response to Spettro1

You cannot boot directly from a Time Machine backup on a Mac, but you can boot into a Recovery Mode to Restore a complete backup of your Mac back to your Mac's hard drive......assuming that the Time Capsule hard drive is functioning correctly and the backup file is not corrupted.

See the information in this support document about how to restore your hard drive from a Time Machine backup.

https://www.imore.com/how-back-up-mac-time-machine

If this seems intimidating, a call to Apple Support to let them walk you through the process might be a good investment, or an Apple servicer could possibly help as well.

Feb 26, 2018 10:37 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob. I tried to boot into a Recovery Mode to Restore a complete backup. But, the Time Capsule is not showing up as an option. It's not showing up on my MacBook Pro either. The only thing showing up is a strange CD "EasySuite".

I'm really perplexed as to why I cannot see the Time Capsule from the Mac Mini with High Sierra, or the Macbook Pro with Yosemite.

Feb 26, 2018 10:52 AM in response to Spettro1

Try the following to see if Restore can find the Time Capsule on your network:

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the Time Capsule

In the smaller window that appears......jot down the LAN IP Address of the Time Capsule

Close AirPort Utility

Click anywhere on the open desktop so that the Finder menus are displayed at the top of the Mac's screen

Click the Go menu

Click Connect to Server

Enter the following in the Server Address bar:

afp://Time Capsule LAN IP Address

For example, if the LAN IP Address of the Time Capsule is 10.0.1.10, you would enter the following into the Server Address bar:

afp://10.0.1.10

Click Connect and enter the Time Capsule device or disk password if required

If still no luck, it is time to call Apple Support so see if they can connect remotely and walk you through the process.

Cannot Access Time Capsule Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.