Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change the font size for LaTeX "text"?

Hi there,

I am trying to figure out how to change the font size for text type characters in an equation written in LaTeX in Pages.

For example, in the "Edit Equation" window that comes out after I choose Insert -> Equation from the Pages menus, I type

x^2 = 3 \text{ pounds}

but I want to have the word "pounds" appear smaller than it does by default. (Unfortunately, most of the equations I type are not this simple. In addition, some of them have "text" in them as well, and I like such "text" to appear in a different font than the characters in the math part of the equation while being still inside the "Edit Equation" window together with the math part. I can make this happen but I would also like to have the "text" appear smaller than it does by default.)

I understand that there are quite a few solutions for this in the "regular" LaTeX world but none of them seems to work when it comes to the LaTeX in Pages.

Can you pls let me know if you have a tried and tested solution for this?

Alper

P.S. I do not wish to take this question to TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange or any other forum specialized on LaTeX. This is because they consider the questions about the LaTeX in Pages to be off-topic as they don't think, perhaps rightfully, the LaTeX in macOS Pages is a proper implementation of LaTeX.

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 11:54 AM

Pages v6.3.1 (starting with Pages v6.1) does not incorporate a TeX/LaTeX engine, and uses a limited feature (blahtex) converter of the former equation syntax into internal MathML that Pages uses. You can read Apple's “About LaTeX and MathML support in Pages and iBook Author” document HT202501. In that link, you will also have access to the blahtex PDF manual that is also a wake-up call to limitations.

Here is your equation:

User uploaded file

If you were to enter \newcommand on the line above the equation, in an effort to define a new font usage shorthand, the \newcommand entry crashes Pages v6.3.1. Repeatedly.

Frankly, you might be better served installing Design Science's MathType, and selecting the checkbox in Pages Preferences : General to use MathType as the default equation editor. MathType comes with a 30-day trial before it becomes the less functional MathType Lite. You launch MathType before Pages v6.3.1.

I also have the full (5 GB) MacTeX 2017 installed, so that I can drop generated PDF into Pages for complicated works.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 11:54 AM in response to bpaksoy

Pages v6.3.1 (starting with Pages v6.1) does not incorporate a TeX/LaTeX engine, and uses a limited feature (blahtex) converter of the former equation syntax into internal MathML that Pages uses. You can read Apple's “About LaTeX and MathML support in Pages and iBook Author” document HT202501. In that link, you will also have access to the blahtex PDF manual that is also a wake-up call to limitations.

Here is your equation:

User uploaded file

If you were to enter \newcommand on the line above the equation, in an effort to define a new font usage shorthand, the \newcommand entry crashes Pages v6.3.1. Repeatedly.

Frankly, you might be better served installing Design Science's MathType, and selecting the checkbox in Pages Preferences : General to use MathType as the default equation editor. MathType comes with a 30-day trial before it becomes the less functional MathType Lite. You launch MathType before Pages v6.3.1.

I also have the full (5 GB) MacTeX 2017 installed, so that I can drop generated PDF into Pages for complicated works.

How to change the font size for LaTeX "text"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.