Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic During Software Update & Can’t Remember Firmware Password - PLEASE HELP!!! 🙏🏻

Hi,

To describe what’s happened...

I was recently updating the software on my MacBook Pro from Sierra to High Sierra. The MacBook was plugged in and fully charged, however, halfway during the update the MacBook went blank and restarted itself. I was then presented with my login screen with my administrator name and picture, although my background picture wasn’t present and it was simply a blank, greyish background instead. When I tried to log in using my password, and subsequently every time after that, it loaded up the login bar very slightly then restarted my MacBook.

I read up about my situation and discovered it was some kind of Kernel Panic. When I attempted to boot it in to Safe Mode I was presented with my firmware password login screen with the padlock above it. I had set this password several months prior due to reading it increased security and confidentiality in the event your MacBook was stolen, however after countless attempts at trying to log in, it was obvious I couldn’t remember the exact password.

I phoned Apple Support and a helpful gentleman talked me through several commands to try in order to try and bypass it, but to no avail. He booked me in to take my MacBook along to my nearest Stormfront store who also tried to unlock it instore but again no success. I paid a £50 fee for it to be sent to Apple to unlock the firmware password as it was outwith the 1 year warranty.

I received an email a few days later advising that I needed to send ‘Proof Of Purchase’ in order for Apple to carry out the repair. I had bought the MacBook on eBay in August 2015 via a vendor with a good seller rating and who specifically sold electronics. I forwarded both my eBay and PayPal transaction emails and receipts regarding my purchase but they replied saying they weren’t valid and I needed to send either a till receipt or VAT invoice.

Now, I know the MacBook I purchased was an American import to the UK as was stated on the original listing. I contacted the seller on 4 different occasions to ask for a receipt or VAT invoice for the MacBook I purchased and explained the reasons why, but I received no response. I told Stormfront that I’d received no response and they said that unfortunately without either a till receipt or VAT invoice that Apple couldn’t proceed any further. I phoned Apple directly again and spoke to an Irish girl and she also confirmed that because I couldn’t get logged in and couldn’t remember the firmware password I’d set, they could only accept a till receipt or VAT invoice, which of course, I didn’t have.

So to conclude, I’m at a complete crossroads here. I have a MacBook back in possession that I paid over £2000 for that is currently unusable. Is there any other way to remove this firmware password as I can’t get logged in to the MacBook to do so, or are there any other people I can speak to or avenues to go down in order to sort this issue out?

I appreciate this post has been a bit longwinded, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible and I’m happy to provide any other relevant details that would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 9:29 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Kernel Panic During Software Update & Can’t Remember Firmware Password - PLEASE HELP!!! 🙏🏻

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.