Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s unlocked

Hi I have just got a new upgrade from Vodafone Ireland and I want to give my son my old iPhone 5s , however I am having great difficulty getting it unlocked , as I own the phone I am very disappointed that Vodafone won’t give me an unlock code, they also suggested I take the phone to a shop to get it unlocked at my own cost any ideas.

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 9:24 AM

There is no such thing as an "unlock code" for an iPhone. That's not how it works.

Only the carrier it's locked to can authorize unlocking it. See this document:

How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

4 replies

Feb 26, 2018 1:39 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you for your reply, I understand the system now, however I have been on to my carrier Vodafone Ireland numerous times and the have told me that they have to get an unlocking code from Apple that was five weeks ago, I have looked at websites who say they can unlock the phone within 48 hours might have to go down that route as I am giving my old iPhone to my son , also I have been an Vodafone customer for over twenty years thanks again.

Feb 26, 2018 6:21 PM in response to gerry219

Vodafone will unlock the iPhone when you fill out the form in this link. iPhones are on a global IMEI database so the unlocking is done on Vodafone's end. After you submit the form, within three days, they will mark the phone as unlocked and the lock will be removed allowing it to be used on another carrier. If your son is also using Vodafone, your phone does not need to be unlocked. Again, with iPhones, the network unlock code is done on the carrier side. Once the phone is unlocked, you just need to insert the other SIM card and it will work.

Request a Network Access Code (NAC)

iPhone 5s unlocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.