Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

General Maintenance

Is there some general maintenance we can do to help keep our Macs running smoothly short of using a program such as Cocktail? I sometimes use cocktail, but I want to move away from any such programs for fear at some point it can cause more harm than good. I would rather let the Mac take care of itself, and learn to do maintenanc myself. Thanks!

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), null

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 10:18 AM

Joseph023 wrote:

Is there some general maintenance we can do to help keep our Macs running smoothly short of using a program such as Cocktail?

No.

I sometimes use cocktail, but I want to move away from any such programs for fear at some point it can cause more harm than good.

They do.

I would rather let the Mac take care of itself, and learn to do maintenanc myself.

Apple does not build Macs in need of such attention—a concept people steeped in the Windows PC way of doing things find so bizarre they cannot comprehend it.

The only thing you need to do is to use Time Machine, which you already have. Other than that read Effective defenses against malware and other threats, and enjoy your Mac for all the reasons you purchased one. If you really want something in need of constant attention and pampering, buy an exotic pet, or perhaps a classic British motorcycle.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 10:18 AM in response to Joseph023

Joseph023 wrote:

Is there some general maintenance we can do to help keep our Macs running smoothly short of using a program such as Cocktail?

No.

I sometimes use cocktail, but I want to move away from any such programs for fear at some point it can cause more harm than good.

They do.

I would rather let the Mac take care of itself, and learn to do maintenanc myself.

Apple does not build Macs in need of such attention—a concept people steeped in the Windows PC way of doing things find so bizarre they cannot comprehend it.

The only thing you need to do is to use Time Machine, which you already have. Other than that read Effective defenses against malware and other threats, and enjoy your Mac for all the reasons you purchased one. If you really want something in need of constant attention and pampering, buy an exotic pet, or perhaps a classic British motorcycle.

General Maintenance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.