Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No password for login but password required to Install!?!

Hello,

So I recently had to get my mac mini repaired because it was stuck in a boot loop. The solution to that problem was to downgrade from sierra. Before, I had a password to login, but now it's not required.

After I got my Mac mini back, I didn't have to have a password to login. However, when I try to install something, it asks for a password. I used my old password, but no dice. Im really confused as to whats happening with my Mac Mini. If anybody knows what is going on, please help me.

Mac mini, null

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 11:44 AM

Yeah-that happens...security and all that.. the OS asks for and expects an administrator password, so that nothing and nobody can install stuff without permission.. to fix it go to System Preferences, then Accounts( could be user Accounts) and go to the icon that looks like a house.Click on it, and it should open up your administrator account. Here you can set your username and password, and any guest accounts as well, and their permissions, and passwords, as needed. You’ll probably have to click on the lock at the bottom of that window. Silly, maybe, but that’s the way it is. After you’ve made your changes, and saved it, then click the lock to lock it up again

Hope this helps

John B

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 11:44 AM in response to TBrew98

Yeah-that happens...security and all that.. the OS asks for and expects an administrator password, so that nothing and nobody can install stuff without permission.. to fix it go to System Preferences, then Accounts( could be user Accounts) and go to the icon that looks like a house.Click on it, and it should open up your administrator account. Here you can set your username and password, and any guest accounts as well, and their permissions, and passwords, as needed. You’ll probably have to click on the lock at the bottom of that window. Silly, maybe, but that’s the way it is. After you’ve made your changes, and saved it, then click the lock to lock it up again

Hope this helps

John B

No password for login but password required to Install!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.