Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I transfer iMovie 6HD software to another imac

I want to keep iMovie 6 HD software while I upgrade my imac. I would like to transfer the iMovie 6HD software to another imac to use as a "time capsule" and upgrade the imac that it's currently on to High Sierra which can't run this old software.

Is there a way I can transfer iMovie 6 HD to another imac to use for editing, etc?

Thanks for any advice from the community.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 10:35 AM

9 replies

Feb 26, 2018 12:08 PM in response to bniblick

Hi,

Control-click on the iM6 application icon, and click on Copy in the drop down menu. Then Edit/Past iM6 into the applications folder on your new Mac.

After you paste it and try to open, you may get a message that it won't work on your system. If so you will need to do a bit of fiddling to make it work. Follow the directions in Ziatron's post below:

User uploaded file

As Klaus1 says, iM6 will run on High Sierra. It does on my computer.

-- Rich

EDIT: If you can't paste it directly onto your second computer, then paste it or drag it into an external drive formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled), and from there copy/paste or drag it into your second computer Always safer to make a duplicate and work with the duplicate when using the drag feature, just in case something goes wrong.

-- Rich

Feb 26, 2018 5:32 PM in response to bniblick

Then something is wrong. When you control click on the iM6 application icon, you should get this:

User uploaded file

The app should not open with a control-click. No application opens with a control-click. Try it on other apps on your computer and see. If you do not get the above pictured drop down menu, then restart your computer and give it another try. Or perhaps your mouse is not functioning properly. Instead of right-clicking try an actual Control-click using the Control key on your keyboard.

-- Rich

Feb 26, 2018 5:37 PM in response to Rich839

Ah, I had "control clicked" the icon in the Applications folder on the dock which opened the app. Then I "control clicked" the iMovie icon on the dock and I got the Options/Open menu; then I "control clicked" the iMovie icon in the finder and got a menu including "open enclosing folder" which I did. It was the Applications folder and then I "control clicked" the iMovie icon and finally got "show package contents." Showing me the image was what helped. Thanks!

Feb 26, 2018 7:06 PM in response to Rich839

OK, I created the alias for iMovie HD, dragged it to the desktop of my other computer but when I clicked it to open it there I got the message: alias can't be opened because the original item can't be found. The two computers are on the same network connected through wifi. Thoughts about what I might try next or am doing wrong?

How can I transfer iMovie 6HD software to another imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.