Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-Bootable iMac

Have tried everything to boot an older 2009 iMac. Have tried Cmd-Opt-P-R, Cmd-Opt-R. Cmd-R, Cmd-T, Shift, etc. Have no bootable backup. Any way to access the hard drive to save the data files? A little late, but what would be a good storage drive? Leaning toward the Seagate Backup Plus 4TB

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 21.5 in, Retina 4K, 3GHz Intel Core

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 2:00 PM

Considering the computer is 10 years old you may want to put your money towards a new machine. However if you wan to fix it, I'd recommend getting an SSD rather than a HD. If you have access to another Mac you can boot in Target Disk Mode per How to use target disk mode to move files between two Mac computers - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 2:00 PM in response to Larry Wasson

Considering the computer is 10 years old you may want to put your money towards a new machine. However if you wan to fix it, I'd recommend getting an SSD rather than a HD. If you have access to another Mac you can boot in Target Disk Mode per How to use target disk mode to move files between two Mac computers - Apple Support

Feb 26, 2018 2:24 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks. I ordered a new iMac earlier today along with a firewire 4p to 4p cable. Both should arrive in a couple of days. If target disk mode works to another iMac, then will migrate data to the new iMac. Was considering the AirPort Time Capsule, but the reviews were disappointing. Need a couple of suggestions for an external 1 TB SSD for under $150.

Non-Bootable iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.