Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID sweaty hands

When I first got my iPhone 8 what made a great impression to me was that the Touch ID was so good even when my fingers were sweaty which is almost always lol. Anyways, yesterday my friend's hand was a little wet and wanted to move my phone from the bedside table to my bed and when he grabbed it a little moisture went on the button. I immediately wiped it off and ever since then i feel like my button is malfunctioning.

It still works whenever my hands are dry but when my hands are sweaty the performance, I feel like, is significantly worse. My friend thinks I am paranoid and that water cannot affect it for 2 seconds + the fact that it's a water resistant phone.

Any advice? Because when my hands are completely dry it works fine but I don't know

iPhone 8, iOS 11.2.5, null

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 11:53 AM

You wrote: "...when my hands are completely dry it works fine..."

The phone has to "see" your fingertip in order to read your fingerprint. Sweat can make the screen smeary, and make it difficult for the phone to read your fingerprint.

Try this: put your sweaty finger on a window pane or a mirror and take a look at that spot to see how difficult it is to see through.

No worries. Sounds like the phone is working properly.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 11:53 AM in response to GeorgeDevonne

You wrote: "...when my hands are completely dry it works fine..."

The phone has to "see" your fingertip in order to read your fingerprint. Sweat can make the screen smeary, and make it difficult for the phone to read your fingerprint.

Try this: put your sweaty finger on a window pane or a mirror and take a look at that spot to see how difficult it is to see through.

No worries. Sounds like the phone is working properly.

Touch ID sweaty hands

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.